sbhesq

Vegas/Production Assistant

So, I finally broke down and upgraded to Pro 10 and I also purchased Production Assistant. I have been editing with Vegas Platinum for the past year and a half so I am pretty familiar with how everything works. However, after watching the tutorials (great job by the way DSE!) I just can't seem to figure out how this is going to speed anything up for me.

I was under the impression that there was some way to have PA automatically import the files from my card, drop them into the template where I could make a few tweaks and then have it burn the dvd.

I am quite certain that I am missing something, but would be really grateful for advice on how people are using PA.

I do my own editing and average @10 - 15 jumps/day. We try and give the customer the dvd before they leave, but will mail them if we have to.

Thanks,

Steve

Step 1; build your custom templates with the template creator
Step 2: Set PA2 to detect when a card is inserted, and copy media.
Step 3: trim any files that need trimming (if you shoot with this in mind, nothing needs to be trimmed.
Step 4: Process (this renders for DVD burn.

You watched the tutorials on the Sony site and didn't see the automation features?

Hi Douglas and G'day again from Oz,

Well I give up ...

I'm totally familiar with Pro 9 and 10 and have used them to create hundreds of edits / DVD's. So I was excited to purchase Production Assistant 2 a few weeks back.

I've now tried and tried and tried for night after night to have it launch when a card is inserted. I cannot find any Detect Card tab anywhere that will instruct it to do so. Is there some secret?

Also, I cannot for the life of me have it automatically close gaps and create crossfades after it processes. I have to do this manually each and every time.

So where I'm at so far, Production Assistant does not save me any time - rather, it takes far longer than manually dropping the files into the home made template I've been using for ages with Pro 9 and 10.

I'm certain there's simply something I'm unable to find and use for the Detect Card feature you've described - plus having it automatically close gaps and create crossfades after it Processes.

Please help.

Thanks - and glad you've recovered from your accident. I bashed up my right leg and knee pretty badly last October ... a double mal spoiled my day big time.

Thanks,

fergs
;)

Fergs,

See the attached graphic for auto-launch. If you leave this checked, and let PA run in your system tray (as the video and manual indicate) then PA will launch, ingest, launch Vegas, and populate.

Auto-rippling is a feature of the templates you build in the Template Creator. If you don't build templates with Template Creator, then you'll end up using the "Remove Track Gaps" feature (which is a one-click for the entire timeline).
The video files on the Sony site, and the manual cover these features pretty deeply; apparently we've missed some level of communication, or perhaps the broadcast terms are a bit confusing?

Thanks Douglas,

Where do I find the "graphic for auto launch".

I'll remake another template in Template Creator and hopefully that will solve the gaps and crossfades issue.

Hopefully I'll report back with the news that I've finally cracked it.

For now, I'll postpone all, as it's way past 0200 hrs and I need sleep. Defeated once again by PA. Ha.

Thanks again,

f
B|

DSE, how do you create a template which has repeating footage?
An example:
clips are sequential (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9). But you want to start (intro) with the freefall part, then fade to the beginning and continue normally with the rest. Then do freefall portion twice (maybe one in half-speed). And a clip from the freefall under end credits.
so the sequence would be:
#7, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #7(half speed), #8, #9, #7(half speed).
Can it be done and I`m missing something? Or PA templates can automate only sequential clips?
I guess you could duplicate and rename a clip, but that would negate card-detection auto loading straight from the cam.
I`m not sure If I explained it well... :S

dudeist skydiver #42

It won`t work for me that way. [:/]
I convert events to media slugs, then save the template.
When I start new project through PA (with the exact same footage) i get sequence like this:
template:

7, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 7

After creating new project from PA with the same footage:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, empty, empty, empty

What am I doing wrong? [:/]

dudeist skydiver #42