visionfx2011

One camera, two jobs

Anyone using one camera for video and photos yet. It's just a matter of time but has anyone setup a video camera that takes stills while skydiving? Sony, and a few competing companies have a few camcorders out that perform this task. Anyone set it up yet and if so, how are your results? Thanks.

Anyone using one camera for video and photos yet. It's just a matter of time but has anyone setup a video camera that takes stills while skydiving? Sony, and a few competing companies have a few camcorders out that perform this task. Anyone set it up yet and if so, how are your results? Thanks.

I know Jay (dittodog on here) has his CX-100(I think) camera set up with the external shutter release. The pictures weren't bad, but they're no where near the DSLR quality. They are also limited, I can't remember what the rate was, but I recall thinking it was semi-slow.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>but has anyone setup a video camera that takes stills while skydiving?

Yes, I've done it, with a CX100 and a Hypeye. Pictures aren't great but are usable for websites (which is where most images seem to end up nowadays.. A camcorder will never come near to the quality you can get with even a DSLR with a kit lens.

I've also used my T2i to record video and that works quite well. If you're going to use one device for both I'd recommend using a still camera with a good lens in video mode, then just do frame captures later for stills. You'll end up with much better results.

It's just the tripod gopro mount and a hotshoe to tripod adapter from amazon. lo-tech, works well for getting video fo close swooping pics and some other minor use-cases. also works well for a second time-lapse camera while I'm doing TL with the big camera.