tombuch

Ripcord Tests, Day 1--LONG

Well, I learned a bit about ripcords today. The Capewell test standard was published yesterday, so this was the first shot at testing our customers rigs at The Ranch. We tested about 25 standard rigs, and about 15 student rigs. We are NOT charging for the test, and trying to accommodate people as best we can. It is only about 5-10 minutes per test, but that adds up at a busy DZ.

The second ripcord I tested had almost no resistance, and the pin pulled through the loop as I delivered the 15 pounds. That broke the seal, but the pin didn’t completely clear the loop and I was able to keep the rig closed. HOT TIP number 1 is to keep track of ripcord pin movement, or have an assistant lend his fingers to the task. It wasn’t my pack job, but I put my seal on the rig and made note of that on the data card. If you are testing other riggers pack jobs, be prepared to deal with a broken seal and be willing to replace that seal with your own.

The test needs to be noted on the ripcord handle with a marker, but markers tend to wear off over time. HOT TIP number 2 is to cover the ripcord marking with clear tape. I was actually writing on the part of the handle that is inside the pocket so it wouldn’t wear as much, or look sloppy. That adds a bit of trouble for the owner if he/she needs to prove the test was done, but it keeps the rig looking nice.

Some soft handles are black, and traditional black markers will not show up. HOT TIP number 3 is to have a silver marker on hand. Alternatively, you can just shrug your shoulders when you encounter the odd black soft handle.

Initially I was filling out the packing data card just like after a repack, that is with the date on the left. That makes it difficult to quickly check the date of the last repack, and also makes it hard to quickly see if the test was done. So, HOT TIP number 4 is to mark CW03-01 in the left hand column, then put the date in the comments column. That makes it harder for somebody to confuse the test date with a repack date.

Toward the end of the day we had a ripcord pin bend on the first 15 pound pull. That creates an interesting question that has been echoed around the country. If a pin bends, can it still be jumped? Our customer was angry about the bend and wanted the ripcord replaced…who pays for that? Capewell? The drop zone? The manufacturer? Me? As I checked around I heard from manufacturers that they had bent pins with just nine pounds of pull force, and Aerospace Standard 8015A specifies that pins should not yield under an EIGHT pound pull at 90 degrees (See The Parachute Manual, Volume 2, page 39 (4.3.1)). I feel for the customer…if I saw that bent pin on a repack I would insist on replacing it. A pin either shouldn’t bend with a 15 pound test load, or if it should bend at that load, the test should be done with a lower load. If Capewell is going to specify a pull force that is higher than the minimum performance standard for a pin, then they need to approve the use of bent pins, replace those that bend under the test conditions, or somehow explain to the customer why their rig is fine before a test, then suddenly unairworthy after the test.

Our single pin bending happened at about 5:00 and we were not able to reach Capewell, but will chat with them in the morning. In the meantime, the rig is out of service and the jumper is on the ground. That’s a rotten outcome. I’ve heard from others in the field that bending pins are a common problem with this test. I’m glad we started the testing on a Thursday, and not a Saturday…there are plenty of questions still to be answered.

Oh hey, another note: Relative Workshop integrated RSL pins are NOT included in the test requirement. Those are the pins with a rounded “eye” on the end. Those pins will stand out, and if you have any questions, you can call RWS.

Some coding elements: A ripcord that has a code PL99 is from Parachute Labs (Jump Shack) and was manufactured in 1999 and doesn’t require testing. PL02 is from 2002 and does require testing. SP99 is a Sunpath ripcord manufactured in 1999, and doesn’t require testing. SP03 is from 2003, and does require testing….that stuff is pretty easy.

The nice folks at Mirage Systems said that their ripcords only need to be tested if dated between January 02 and July 03, NOT the dates listed on the Capwell order. That’s because they were using older stock until 2002. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out codes on the Mirage ripcords yet, so while I can determine the date of rig manufacture, I can’t confirm the date of ripcord manufacture. (Sample Mirage metal handle code: ARC1003-27).

Some ripcord pins have blades on the sides. These are not specified in the order, but they too need to be tested. Javelilns often use the bladed pins, and the friendly folks at Sunpath confirmed that style of pin needs to be tested. In a nutshell, any pin made by Capewell, or suspected of being made by Capewell between November 01 and now should be considered suspect, and should be tested.

-Tom Buchanan
S&TA, The Ranch
Senior Parachute Rigger
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Tom-

Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

On the bent pin, the SB says; "For straightness: Pins in excess of .005 (.12 mm) deformation along the blade of the pin should be removed from service", for Test 2 and "If the pin is not straight, as visable without manification, remove the pin/ripcord from service immediately" from test 1.

It doesn't specify how to measure the .005 (.12 mm) deformation.

I tested, using Test 2, a rip cord. It passed without bending. To mark it, I used a black paint pen and paintes the cable for 1/2 inch where in enters the pin and for 1/2 inch above the ball at the other end. I am also considering a sticker w/ CW03-01 on it on the handle, covered in clear shipping tape. What do you think?

It seems the test(s), how to mark the rip cords, and the SB still need work.

Thanks for the hot tips.

Hook

I think the AS8015 test uses a lower (8 lb instead of 15 lb) pull test because the moment arm/distance to the "pivot" is different. Kelly F. brought this up in a different post.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Do you think it is wise to put you seal on someone elses pack job? Not
Sparky

I don't like doing it, but it is legal, and in this case it was appropriate. What I sealed was just the pin, and I noted that reseal-only on the data card. The rig was under my control at all times so I'm sure the packjob wasn't altered...that's different than a jumper bringing me a broken seal and "claiming" it hadn't been tampered with.

Do you see an alternative? It was a beautiful morning and load 1 was on a 15 minute call. The customer needed his rig checked and I did that. In the process his seal broke. The rig was packed by another rigger at a different DZ. Should I have said "Sorry Charlie, your'e outta luck...grounded!" He would have been forced to take the rig to his own rigger who might then look at it and rightfully say it had been out of his control, and thus needs a full internal inspection and repack. The customer would have faced a heavy repack charge and a great day of skydiving would have been missed.

At The Ranch we try to keep people safe, and we try to keep them in the air. Generally we do a good job, I think. When something goes wrong, we look for solutions. This one was a no-brainer to me. Safety was never compromised.

Tom Buchanan
Sr. Parachute Rigger
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Do you think it is wise to put you seal on someone else's pack job? Not
Sparky

I don't like doing it, but it is legal, and in this case it was appropriate. What I sealed was just the pin, and I noted that reseal-only on the data card.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with tombuch about re-sealing another rigger's pack job. Provided it is noted on the packing data card, I cannot see what the fuss is about.

The nice folks at Mirage Systems said that their ripcords only need to be tested if dated between January 02 and July 03, NOT the dates listed on the Capwell order. That’s because they were using older stock until 2002. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out codes on the Mirage ripcords yet, so while I can determine the date of rig manufacture, I can’t confirm the date of ripcord manufacture. (Sample Mirage metal handle code: ARC1003-27).

RC #1: 71304-00-11, DOM: July 2001

RC #2: 71304-01-1, DOM: February 2002

Two numbers off Mirage reserve ripcord handles and the corresponding DOM's of the harness/containers. Seems like the first dash # is the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture and the second dash # is the month of manufacture. So the first ripcord was manufactured in November 2000 and the second in January of 2001. They both had ARC1003-25 stamped on them also.

Edit: The length of the rip cord, ball to the tip of the pin was 25 inches, not sure if this corresponds to the -25 number or not, but it probably does.

It would be nice if harness container manufacturers would put this information on their web pages. All I found for bullitins on Mirage's page is:

"Technical Updates and Bulletins
Reserve Static Line Field Installation Instructions
Secondary Main Closing Loop Attachment Point Notice on Mirages Made before
March 1, 1997
Mirage pre-emptive grommet fix"

RWS has updated their site, http://www.relativeworkshop.com/

Under "news"

And so has Sun Path, http://www.sunpath.com/

Sunrise Rigging has a link, http://www.capewell.com/PIAPIN.pdf

But it doesn't work yet.

Hook

This from Relative Workshop:
There are no concerns with RWS pins. The first time this problem arose about 2 years ago RWS implemented a new test procedure with regards to reserve pins. RWS was the company that first became aware of the problem..

This 100% testing system detected all defective or problem pins and returned them to the manufacturer.

With the way we keep track of lot numbers we were able to track which rigs had what pins on anyway and those ten ripcords that came out of the latest problem batch were recalled and replaced for our own peace of mind. When we got them back the ripcords were tested again to destruction. All ten exceeded the specifications for the assembly.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Procos
Sales & Marketing Director
Tandem Program Director
Phone +(386) 736-7589
Fax +(386) 734-7537
Cell +(386) 804-4705
E-Mail [email protected]

If all manufactures did this, we would not be up to our ass in shit now!
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There are no concerns with RWS pins. The first time this problem arose about 2 years ago RWS
implemented a new test procedure with regards to reserve pins. RWS was the company that first became
aware of the problem..

This 100% testing system detected all defective or problem pins and returned them to the manufacturer.

With the way we keep track of lot numbers we were able to track which rigs had what pins on anyway and
those ten ripcords that came out of the latest problem batch were recalled and replaced for our own peace
of mind. When we got them back the ripcords were tested again to destruction. All ten exceeded the
specifications for the assembly.

Another reason I Love RWS!!!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It would be nice if harness container manufacturers would put this information on their web pages. All I found for bullitins on Mirage's page is:

"Technical Updates and Bulletins
Reserve Static Line Field Installation Instructions
Secondary Main Closing Loop Attachment Point Notice on Mirages Made before
March 1, 1997
Mirage pre-emptive grommet fix"

It looks like Mirage has a link on the front page about the Capewell recall, it is right above the pictures of the G3 and G4, it takes an extra second or two for it to show up. Last time I clicked on it though the link was down....

~La La Gang Member #2~

It looks like Mirage has a link on the front page about the Capewell recall, it is right above the pictures of the G3 and G4, it takes an extra second or two for it to show up. Last time I clicked on it though the link was down....

Found it above the pic of the G3/G4 on the Home page, right where you said it was. It still doesn't work.

Hook

Found it above the pic of the G3/G4 on the Home page, right where you said it was. It still doesn't work.

Hook

The link is working now, but does not give any info other than a link to the capewell SB
Fly it like you stole it!

Our customer was angry about the bend and wanted the ripcord replaced…who pays for that? Capewell? The drop zone? The manufacturer? Me?

Most parachute gear is hand-made, and to expect a 100% parts replacement warrantee when this gear is deeply discounted is childish. This person should grow up, get out the credit card, and have a new ripcord shipped by fedex overnight--unless of course their life isn't worth $65.00.

Products with the sort of warrantee protection this person desires are expensive. For example, automobile prices continue to rise unlike tire prices because the government insists that automobile manufacturers continue product safety research and exercise wide-spread recalls to insure public safety because an increasing number of people aren't well suited to operating automobiles. Skydivers do not pay for these additional costs in their purchases.

The ripcord is manufactured under one or more TSO-C23 standards. They are to be proof tested 100% with two different test. The results are to be recorded and kept. This has not been done in all cases. If it had been, we would not have defective pins. Life safety equipment should have a 100% warranty(check your spelling) against defects in materials and workman ship. Would anyone in there right mind jump something that is guaranted to maybe work?

The gear manufacturers do the best job that the economic conditions of this sport will allow them. If they were to offer guaranteed or warranted gear then the prices we would ultimately pay would be much higher particularly after several years of tort activity. It is cheaper for everyone involved to simply replace the defective parts.

Life safety equipment should have a 100% warranty(check your spelling) against defects in materials and workman ship. Would anyone in there right mind jump something that is guaranted to maybe work?

The spelling was correct as a warrantee is the person who holds a warranty, i.e., a purchaser of a product that includes a warranty. BTW, "guaranted" is missing an "e".

The gear manufacturers do the best job that the economic conditions of this sport will allow them. If they were to offer guaranteed or warranted gear then the prices we would ultimately pay would be much higher particularly after several years of tort activity. It is cheaper for everyone involved to simply replace the defective parts.

The guarantee I am referring to is TSO-C23. That states that all components will be manufactured to very exacting standards. Then 90 degree bend test we are submitting pins to now should have been done(with 8#) on every pin/ripcord assembly before it ever left the manufactures shop. The other test is an in line pull with 300# for 3 sec.
Sparky

100% testing would be nice, but if you want 100% testing then you must be willing to pay extra.

With current depressed prices, factories are under constant pressure to get product out the door to pay light bills, etc. Anything that slows down the production process puts them closer to bankruptcy, so quality control becomes a compromise.

Tell your customer to lighten up. The rigger should not have to pay to replace the bent ripcord. He was just doing his job as written by Capewell.
Capewell or the container manufacturer is responsible for replacing the ripcord.
If the customer is complaining too loudly about who pays for a new ripcord, we have to seriously question his motives. In my experience, the customers that complain the loudest are also the customers that pay the least. They got wealthy not by making lots of money, but by squeezing every penny until it squeaks!
Trying to squeeze every last penny out of a lowly rigger is worse than a waste of time. Riggers don't make much money to start with and in the long run, you only annoy the person who holds your life in their hands.

100% test would not only be nice, it is required under TSO-C23B through TSO-C23D.

If it is required, then wouldn't it apply to all manufacturers equally, putting nobody at an economic disadvantage for complying? If performing the test (or any other mandated safety step) takes time that manufacturers haven't factored into their prices, perhaps they ought to revisit that.

Price is a good ways down the list of priorities when I make any skydiving gear-related decision. Without question, safety is more important. The ill will generated for getting caught knowingly violating safety procedures would outweigh the benefits of being able to undersell the competition. Skydiving manufacturers (like riggers) exist on the trust of their customers. We need to believe that they will do their work in accordance with established guidelines, and step up honestly and quickly with a service bulletin if something goes awry. If you breach that trust, you have nothing.

Please Understand, that message from RWS was sent to me personally BEFORE the mandatory testing on ALL pins. Now the official recommendation is that ALL pins are to be tested, regardless of what rig they are on. I was hoping to catch that quote before it spread due to its recent inaccuracy. So, regardless of rig, get your pin checked. Thanks.
-Rap