lilchief

Ooops! How did I do this?

Last week I was in Empurabrava, Spain, and filming a 4wy team. On the last day I came in for landing an set up for my standard 270 front riser-harness HP landing. After approx 90degrees I transition to harness and letting the front riser up.

But on this jump I looked to much into the turn and at the same time held my front riser to close to my helmet. When I started raising the right front riser wither my control line or A/B lines snagged my cross sight and the riser was stuck in full dive configuration!

I managed to understand fast what had happened, knowing that I have nylon screws, trying to clear it once and being prepared to snap the sight right off if I don't untangle the lines ASAP. I'd guess I was at about 500f here. It cleared on the one attempt and my sight was moved into a different angle, but stayed on. Came in just a tad low, bumped rears and then went on brakes.

Luckily I hadn't changed my swoop settings from my 1900ft MSL DZ to 0ft MSL Empuria. Have this been my 1900f DZ I'd had to dig hard I guess...

I know I'm a dumb f*** to make this happen and I've not read anything similar before. But now it's out here and hopefully people read this.

Lesson learned:
- Thank god for nylon screws!
- Don't pull front risers into your eyes
- And at the same time have a camera helmet on
- Maybe not look so hard into the turn with camera gear.

Oh well...I live another day. :S

Stay safe guys. :)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it was scary.

I don't know your helmet, but one other take away may be to make sure your sight is a close to your head and as snag-proof as practical. In my experience, free-fly style helmets, where you have to "back" your head into the helmet, don't give you as much of an option for this as dedicated flat-top style helmets like the SkySystems' Wes Pro, or the BH Flat-top Pro where you enter the helmet face-first. But again, I don't know if this was the case with your helmet.

ah, good point! Forgot to mention that.

Skysytems Vapor Wes Pro with cross sight on a shumacher removable 90 degree clamp. It's locates center with the sight straight down to my right eye. It's protected from riser strike and the carbon plate extends 1cm in front to act like a "bumper". I can post pictures later.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

But on this jump I looked to much into the turn and at the same time held my front riser to close to my helmet. When I started raising the right front riser wither my control line or A/B lines snagged my cross sight and the riser was stuck in full dive configuration!

I've done that, years ago. Makes you think fast, and never look that way for too long ever again.
http://www.exitshot.com

see attached picture. That's the position of my sight.

edit: the yellow thing is just a straw tha flew over my face while sliding on my but towards the photographer. And I'm not jumping the PC 350 any more :)
www.lilchief.no