LouDiamond

Another mini HD cam for you to choose from

I spent much of yesterday testing the RePLAY camera against the GoPro 2 camera in side by side shots.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314559_2427728445921_1032868837_2733092_1851017562_n.jpg

both have their merits; the operation and ease of the RePlay far outweighs the GoPro.
The RePlay is a lot closer to the Contour in size and ease of operation. If I was Contour...I'd be running like hell to figure out how to fast compete with RePlay, because as owner of both Contour and RePlays...I'll take the RePlay any day.
Many more features, better image grade (but not to the point of being "OMG WOW this is ridiculously better), user feedback is better, live video out to pro monitors over HDMI, much tougher, vibration feedback so you know it's recording.
Controls are easy, swivel is powerful and simile, rock solid billet aluminum. Also offers a 37mm adapter so you can use your lens adapters. External mic port, tough as nails, no housing needed, mounts are aluminum, only thing I DON'T like is the charging cable isn't standard connector, so losing it is gonna be a PITA.

I've jumped the new Contour Roam, which is the same cam as the Plus minus a few features. The Roam, much like the GoPro, has over saturated colors, reducing options in post. For the average skydiver, it probably doesn't matter. The manual white balance of the RePlay is quite nice, and I like the feedback system.
The Contour lasers are nice too, but the form factor is a bit of a PITA. But yes...both the RePlay and the Contour have a better form factor than the GP, IMO.

ive talked with Replay and have been jumping their camera as well. it's built like a brick Sh#^ house. very easy to use and produces some good video. only thing that i really don't like is the out of the box set up. you have to open the txt file and change Bit rate, Saturation, exp, Etc. can't do it from the camera. the mounting hardware is solid!
after jumping Replay, Contour, go pro and Drift innovations.
Drift seem to me the best out the box with much more features. they came out with the smaller HD, waiting on one in the mail. their stealth camera is a bit bulky but i have one mounted on the side of my Revolve and it has worked flawless.

the stock lens is too narrow FOV for what most tandem guys are doing. However...with the 37mm lens adapter, it'll fit a .55 Century very nicely. The external audio back is nice.
In a speed situation (DZ that needs to turn 50 videos a day) this would not be a choice.
Small DZ...182 DZ...sure, if you're dumping all the video at the end of the day. It would be fine.
Getting the back off, pulling the card...that's all wear and tear on the cam and patience that I would not want to cope with

DSE, let me make sure I understand your comment re: working with this cam: so you are saying because the video data is stored on a card instead of DV tapes (like the sony cams) that transferring the video to computer for editing would be more time consuming and pain in the ass, thus making it difficult for a videographer working on a busy dropzone?

this technology is all new to me so I'm just trying to keep my head above the water understanding...I'm aspiring camera flier...like the idea of a very small cam.

I jumped the GP2 side by side to the RePlay. As soon as I can get to it, I'll post em'. Both have their merits.
Short answer...GP2 is a tad sharper, but false colors.
RePlay is very true to color, but not edge-enhanced.

For pros doing broadcast work, there is no question, RePlay.
For those who just wanna shoot and don't give a damn about post...probably the GP2.

Both opinions are not considering form factor. That's a personal choice.

DSE. which Drift camera did you jump? i am jumping their Stealth and HD camera. i haven't noticed any of the issues your referring to. maybe it was on older camera and older firmware. :)
here is their newest one. http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-stealth-camera/
that sucker has got an LCD screen, remote and is much easier to setup/mount than any POV that i have used.

DSE. which Drift camera did you jump? i am jumping their Stealth and HD camera. i haven't noticed any of the issues your referring to. maybe it was on older camera and older firmware. :)
here is their newest one. http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-stealth-camera/
that sucker has got an LCD screen, remote and is much easier to setup/mount than any POV that i have used.

What broadcast-calibrated monitor are you using to view/evaluate with? I'm using a Sony 3200 and a Marshall R70.
Have you pushed color from the Drift in post? Due to in-camera processing, I find it difficult to work with before the codec falls apart.

Dude. I'm a skydiver. Theirs no way I can afford anything close to a 16 grand monitor. Lol All I know is out of all that I have jumped. Drift has been great for me. Using my dell computer, asus monitor and editing with power director 10. Consumer base stuff. Nothing professional. Playing on a 50in tv at the dz with no problems straight from the camera.
Now I did have issues with Replay videos. I don't know the details but after editing and producing the video, it the codec would go stupid and give some really crappy video's. They would play for about 8 sec and go to a blank screen. Audio would be fine. It seemed that I could only do mpeg 4. Granted I'm sure I did something wrong.
By no means am I tryin to get in a brand war. Just an opinion from an average joe that likes video stuff.

Dude. I'm a skydiver. Theirs no way I can afford anything close to a 16 grand monitor. Lol All I know is out of all that I have jumped. Drift has been great for me. Using my dell computer, asus monitor and editing with power director 10. Consumer base stuff. Nothing professional. Playing on a 50in tv at the dz with no problems straight from the camera.
Now I did have issues with Replay videos. I don't know the details but after editing and producing the video, it the codec would go stupid and give some really crappy video's. They would play for about 8 sec and go to a blank screen. Audio would be fine. It seemed that I could only do mpeg 4. Granted I'm sure I did something wrong.
By no means am I tryin to get in a brand war. Just an opinion from an average joe that likes video stuff.

The issues you describe above are all computer problems, not a codec nor brand problem. It suggests to me that there is a challenge with the bitrate. 8 seconds and blank screen suggests a buffering problem, because the GOP runs significantly shorter than 8 seconds. This same effect will apply whether it's GoPro, Drift, Contour, or RePlay if you're using the same output settings. Once the file is rendered and played out, the source becomes irrelevant.

I realize you're not working with a 16K monitor (i just happen to be lucky).B| However, my posts all relate to post processing, immediate gratification, color accuracy.
I have jumped most of the small cameras. For form factor and color accuracy, I put RePlay at the top of the list. For instant gratification and nothing to be done in post, I'll take a GoPro (even though I don't like the form factor). For super ease of use, the Contour is quite nice and any idiot can run one. They have a great form factor too.
On a personal note, I happen to feel the Drift is ugly. Not that it matters in terms of quality, but the design is just....'ugly,', IMO.