sbb

my rendering time is slow

I'm trying to refine our editing process and it seems as though our rendering time is slow for what we have. For an 11 minute video it's taking about the same amount to render, plus some change to burn. We capture some of the training, so we're fine with the length.

There is only a few seconds of intro where we change the name of the jumper, several audio ducks, and a couple of velocity envelopes (about 10 seconds total)

It is shot in SD, file properties are NTSC DV widescreen, rendering quality=best. I use the vegas burn straight-to- DVD tool at the moment, video format=MPEG2 16:9.

The computer is windows 7, i7 core, 8 GB RAM(max amount available), 2 x 320 GB HDD. The antivirus is disabled during rendering. I'm running SVPro 9.0e 64 bit.

Is there anything you see from above that is the bottleneck? Or should I look elsewhere? Are there rendering formats that are faster than others?

The time ramped up all the way to 32 minutes, but still took about 10 using main concept Mpeg-2/ DVD architect NTSV wide. watching the preview screen during rendering is only slightly faster than linear editing[:/]

something is definitely not running right on your machine.
You're sure there is no antivirus running? What other apps are using memory?
32 mins for anything that is only10 mins of source is insane.

it realistically just took 10 minutes. I have MS security, but its disabled. positive on that. attached is all the processes running.

I opened up a fresh project and dumped just the mpg video, same thing.

Picture Motion Browser and DivX are the two big alarms I see. Please be sure that "ignore 3rd party codecs" is unchecked in preferences.
Further, you are shooting 720 x 480 media and rendering to a 720 x 480 project? Should be lightning fast on even a crappy system unless you're dumping on a lot of FX.

unistalled PMB, DivX, and antivirus. Reinstalled vegas just for kicks.

10 minutes SD def video from CX150, 16:9. I didn't find the 3rd party codec in preferences. ??

10 minute video, Zero effects....I gave up rendering at 10 minutes and 65% complete.

about to go back to linear.

NTSC DV widescreen 720 x480
29.97 fps
32 bit floating point
rendering quality: best
motion blur: gaussian
deinterlace: interpolate

Rendering to Mainconcepts mpeg-2, dvd NTSC template (same description as project properties).

Is there anything in custom rendering settings that I should look at?

I'd use GOOD vs BEST.
You're interpolating and resampling every frame for no reason.
That's the first change I'd make.
32bit floating is the other thing. Why? You're using a linear color source vs the MPEG standard, gaining nothing. You're set up for compositing, and you're not compositing.

Make sure "frame blending" and "blend fields" is off.
They are on by default. B|
Also make sure your project frame rate is exactly the same as the camera --> “Project Properties” --> “Match Media Settings”

frame blending will seriously fuk up render times, it is stupid it is on by default.

Deinterlace settings should not affect a render to same-as-source interlacing. If you have SD interlaced as source and are rendering to an interlaced format, the project deinterlaced settings won't matter.
More over, they actually matter very little outside of display.

Because I was only 99.9% sure of this, I rendered 5 files a moment ago.

30 seconds of source material, all MPEG SD from CX100

Render 1-LFF, 720 x 480 4 seconds to render
Render 2-UFF 720 x 480 4 seconds to render
Render 3-Deinterlaced 720 x 480/Blend 5 seconds to render
Render 4 Deinterlaced 720 x 480/interpolate 5 seconds to render.
Render 5 Deinterlaced 720 x 640/Blend 9 seconds to render.

Changing resolution has a maximum impact on render times. All render settings to "Good, 24bit."

DSE

Clarify if you will what you mean by linear color source vs mpeg standard? The video is already shot in MPEG.

Results from so far....

I changed rendering quality to good. priortized speed over quality(custom rendering option), 8 bit range, allowed vegas to use native media settings and ....We're down to about 5 minutes rendering. Is that reasonable or is there more juice to squeeze?

Soulabel, It is a Dell labtop.

Oh, if it's a laptop, then you'll want to make sure your power settings are set to maximum performance. If you set it to anything lower, than the cpu is likely to get underclocked as a battery saving measure.

Download this application to watch if your cpu speed is reaching the maximum frequency when you try to render out a file:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

The field labeled 'Core Speed' indicates your current cpu speed. It will actually go down when the computer detects that it is idling, and should reach maximum speed when you start any heavy processing.

well...you're down to four mins. Not bad for a laptop.
you did change 32bit to 24, yes?

Sounds to me like you're 65% better than you were. Not knowing the specific machine...I think you're probably in the range of "very good" although I'd be unhappy with that performance.
Then again...laptops just aren't made for hard-core tandem workflows.