DougH

Mounting ring sight - eye dominance?

I have had my nice polarized ring sight in the bag for almost two seasons now. I also ended up with the nice anodized mount with the quick release. I think I purchased from Trunk?

I have been procrastinating the install for so long I think I have to find the parts in boxes, damn moves!

When I install the ringsight should I install it on the side with my dominant eye?

My new shooting hobby has brought to light that my left eye is dominant even though I am righty.

The ring sight is going on a bonehead optic illusion that has a rebel XSi with a greatstuff mount, and a left side mounted PC in a cookie box.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I have had my nice polarized ring sight in the bag for almost two seasons now. I also ended up with the nice anodized mount with the quick release. I think I purchased from Trunk?

I have been procrastinating the install for so long I think I have to find the parts in boxes, damn moves!

When I install the ringsight should I install it on the side with my dominant eye?

My new shooting hobby has brought to light that my left eye is dominant even though I am righty.

The ring sight is going on a bonehead optic illusion that has a rebel XSi with a greatstuff mount, and a left side mounted PC in a cookie box.

Doug hi,

All the advice i have heard says put it on your left eye as you chuck your PC with your right hand, oh and don't forget the nylon screws.

Be safe,

Coops.

Definetly going with the nylon screws.

The hardest thing is going to be drilling the holes in the right spots. I don't think the mount came with a template, and I just suck at drilling and cutting things exactly true lol!
=P

Put a piece of paper in the back of the ringsite, get a pencil and rub the lead at a 90 degree angle over the paper. The holes will show up as distinct circles, instant template. Tape that on your hemet in the position you want the ringsite and use a center punch to mark the holes. If you dont have a centerpunch put a nail it the center of the hole on the template and give it a light tap. remove the template and drill your holes on the marks from the punch. Make a pilot hole with the smallest drill bit you have (1/16") and work your way up to whatever size you need to end up with.

I drill hole patterns a lot in my work. Find the basic spot for the mount. Drill ONE hole....put that screw in. Re-align the mount with that screw in place. Drill the opposite diaginal screw hole next, right thru the hole in the mount ( with the first screw still in place) Put the second screw in. Make sure your mount is still aligned. Drill the other holes the same way, right thru the mount holes and put those screws in.....Another thing...I knocked the lense out of my ring sight 500 jumps ago, on purpose. I love it that way. It doesn't mess with your focus that way, and it never gets scratched or dirty. Just keep the object you're shooting in the middle of the ring.
Life is short ... jump often.

Haha, I will remember that. I don't want to by holyer than thou.

I will try the pencil lead rubbing to create the template. That is a great idea thanks!

I can't drill through the mounting holes, they are blind holes and don't go all the way through. I think later mounts had holes that were all the way through.

Thanks for all the responses.
=P

I can't drill through the mounting holes, they are blind holes and don't go all the way through. I think later mounts had holes that were all the way through.

You're going to want to put masking tape over your helmet before you drill your holes, to prevent fraying or chip-out along the outside of the holes. So take your ringsite, flip it over, and place a piece of paper over the back. Poke holes in the paper where the mounting holes are, then place the paper on the helmet where you want the sight to be. Use a Sharpie marker to draw through the holes onto the masking tape, and there you have your locations.

The pencil lead thing will work too, but it will also make a mess with all that loose pencil lead.

What you should really do is sell that stuff in the classifieds, and use the money to buy jumps. Take the aforementioned masking tape, and with a friend looking through your viewfinder (the still cam has those neat little squares in the exact center of the frame) place a dot of tape on your goggles over the exact center of the frame. Double check this by choosing several objects and you framing them up with the masking tape, and your buddy confirming they are in the center of the frame. Now take the also aforementioned Sharpie marker, and draw a circle around the tape on your goggles. Remove the tape, and this is your new 'ring' sight. Safer, cheaper, lighter, and 99% as good as what you want to bolt on to your helmet.

I have done the paper arsehole and circle the goggle method. My issues was that my goggles are low profile and the mark felt (looked) like it was to close to my eye, wrong focal length maybe?
=P

I have done the paper arsehole and circle the goggle method. My issues was that my goggles are low profile and the mark felt (looked) like it was to close to my eye, wrong focal length maybe?

I think everyone wears low profile goggles, besided the 'over the glasses' crowd, and a mark on your goggles doesn't have a 'focal length'.

The mark on your goggles, just like a ring sight, is simply a reference to show you the center of the frame. A ring sight does not denote the edges of your frame, and it was never intended to, it only shows the center. Determining the edges of your frame is up to each jumper, with their combination of camera and lens, and just something you learn over the course of many jumps. You'll start off too far away, with lots of 'dead' space around the edges of your frame, and then you'll creep in, slowly filling the frame. Eventually you'll get cocky, and be so close you start to cut stuff out of the picture, then you back up, then you're all set.

I have not jumped a ring site in 13 years, and have never had a problem. I started with drawing a bold square on my goggles, and over time I have reduced that to two dots - one just left of center, one just to the right. Put something between the dots, and that thing is in the middle.

It's just a center-point reference, nothing more, nothing less.

I`m also left eye dominant, right handed.
Mounted it on the left side. Away from the PC, aligned with dominant eye, works perfect.
my2c

damn I guess this is more common than i thought. years ago when I taught my self to shoot archery left handed after years of shooting rightie it was awkward at 1st but well worth it in the end. being able to keep both eyes open and still use a small peepsite was a great asset to my shooting:)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I found out that this is not an issue for me:

I am left eye, right handed and always had the ringsight on my left eye. When I got a new helmet the sight was mounted on the right eye by mistake.

I never felt any difference at all....

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de