JayR

Sony Nex3 & Nex5 camera mod

For those looking to lighten up there camera set up, take a look at the Sony alpha Nex series cameras! They don't have a external shutter release port for biteswitch but I've been doing quality modifications to these cameras for skydiving. 7 frames per second, 14.2 mega pixel, quality lenses, all the features of a full size dslr with a fraction of the size and weight! Feel free to message me any question or inqueries.

Blue skies

Sorry been away from this forum for a while, I mod the camera with a short wire lead that exits the camera body and has the 2.5 mm port on the end suitable for the common bite switch, I do modify the 5n as well as the nex7, pretty much all the Sony nex cameras. Hope this helps

Updating this post with some pics of the camera modified, some shots taken of the bracket that allows front step mounting while being able to access the battery and memory card without removing from helmet, and some pictues taken with it in free fall. message me if interested, blue skies

Wired remote shutter only gives shooting at 1fps.

Anyway what is the best way of mounting the NEX-5N - will any of the regular SLR brackets work? Guessing its too small, and the lens wont reach the velcro strap. This camera also has an annoying protuberance for the tripod mount, and the low surface area means it untwists easily.

Please post pics of your helmets!

I've got a bracket for front mount helmets. Not sure if you are talking about a top-mount? I have 2 milled aluminum ones waiting for coating. I rattle canned my prototype. Which is holding up well.

It was more expensive on the milling the originally planned. But the shop did a great job on them.

I designed this one so I can keep the camera mounted and access the card/battery compartment. I only have to take the camera off only a few times a day. Its light and works great. I have 2 bare aluminum brackets available.

Still working on a bullet proof bracket for the modded connector. You can see it on the right of the camera.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com