SimonBones

CX file format help

I'm sure this has been talked about to death, but I'm a real moron and it's all new to me. I'm in a real pickle and could use a little help.

I dumped all my videos from my new CX150 not long ago onto a big external hard drive. Apparently they are MPEG-TS files and I can play them on my PC. Now I'm trying to edit them on my trusty old Pinnacle Pro 10 program and it won't recognize them. Hell, even Windows Movie Maker won't recognize them. I've heard that what you have to do is import directly from the camera to make an AVI, but at this point it's already a file in a hard drive. What do I have to do to be able to work with this stuff?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I've heard that what you have to do is import directly from the camera to make an AVI

That won't work.

On a CX series camera, you record in either mpeg (standard def) or avchd (highdef). You need a fairly recent editing program to work with these files. Pinnacle 14 is the most recent version, so yeah, 10 may well not be up to the job.

FWIW, I'd ditch pinnacle if I were you (I did, after version 8), and switch to something else, like adobe premiere elements or similar. There's a whole list of entry-level editors in a post by DSE somewhere, listing advantages and disadvantages to each.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Does Adobe Premier Elements do all this and output to a DVD? It's a bit cheaper than a new Pinnacle and they've got it over at Best Buy. It would suck to spend the money on it and then have it not fix my problem here.
Hit me up on Facebook

Does Adobe Premier Elements do all this and output to a DVD? It's a bit cheaper than a new Pinnacle and they've got it over at Best Buy. It would suck to spend the money on it and then have it not fix my problem here.

Yup ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Simon, I downloaded the 30 day trial of Cyberlink Power Director 9 for use with my CX-150. Easy to use and so far, pretty good tool. Wound up buying the license for it. Dowload videos to external like you did, then suck 'em in to edit. Works like a charm. Slow to render but, probably just my old hp.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Fuck. So I've got Adobe Premier Elements 9. It was working just fine.

After I had a hard drive issue and ad to replace it, I removed and reinstalled the program and now it won't work anymore with .mts files.

When I try and click on the mts files in my catalog it tells me first that it can't find it and opens an explorer window. When I click on the file in the explorer window it says, "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed". Eventually I cancel out and it tells me "Could not locate some files".

How the hell do I fix this?
Hit me up on Facebook

Wait, I think I'm figuring something weird out. My external hard drive where all the videos are stored is called H, but when APE9 tries to look for it, it insists that the address of the file is in a drive G. No matter where I copy the video file I want to use to, APE9 insists it must be found with a similar address except in drive G. I don't have a drive G and I have no idea what has gotten into this thing.
Hit me up on Facebook

you can go into computer management and assign the drive that holds the files, as a G Drive, or you can re-assign the locations by opening the project file in Notepad and re-allocating/pointing the project drive to its correct letter ID.

Wow holy shit. Changing the name of my hard drive to G totally fixed the program. How freakin weird is that! APE9 won't work unless it can draw from a hard drive labeled 'G' and G alone. :S

Thanks buddy :)

Hit me up on Facebook