Rugby82

DSLR, Canon vs Sony vs Nikon

Hi everyone,

I've got a question. Last week someone broke into my home and stole my Canon 450D. I'm now looking for a new camera and am looking for some advice. I got the Canon because most people use them for skydiving but now I'm also looking at Sony and Nikon.

I've been looking at the Sony SLT-A33 and A55. What I've seen is that these are smaller and lighter then most DSLR's which my neck will love. Does anyone have any experience with this camera for skydiving and does it work wit a conceptus Tongue switch?

Are there models from Nikon that are also compatible with the Conceptus tonge switch and that are used for skydiving? I've been looking at the D5100 or D5000.

Which current models of Canon are best suited for skydiving? I've found a 1000D, 1100D and 500D and also the compatibility with a Conceptus tongue switch.

Thanks for the advice.
Blue skies!

Basically all camera bodies are suitable, but remember that there might not be "ready made" mouth switches for the less popular brands/models.

Also remember that Canon has the best range of lenses availeable.

Personally I use Canon because of the lenses. Nikon has also nice lenses, but IMO sony is far far behind..

If you're starting out, best get a Canon EOS "consumer model" camera.

These have the least issues when skydiving and are comparatively neck-friendly.

If you already have some (good) lenses, and/or don't mind either tinkering with or special-ordering your remotes, nikon has some good skydiving cameras as well.

For starters the (canon or nikon) 18-50mm kit lens will do, but for better pictures you'll probably want a 15 or 16mm f/2.8 lens. Both canon and nikon have excellent versions of these, and sigma makes a decent 15mm too in both versions. For nikon however, for the consumer models, this means you'll have to shoot manual focus, and while not the end of the world this is something you may want to consider if you are leaning towards a consumer-type nikon camera. The pro-sumer models (D90 and up) don't have this problem, but are of course pricier and heavier.

I'd stay away from sony for a skydiving DSLR, better stick with canon (or nikon).

does it work wit a conceptus Tongue switch

All cameras with a wired remote port can work with any switch, the issue is more: is my particular plug available ready conected to the switch I prefer, or do I not mind soldering both together myself. Or, another option and one that will allow you to connect any switch with the "canon consumer" type male plug is to use 2 cables, the other with your own plug with a female canon-consumer-type plug on the other end.

I jump a Nikon D300, which has the nikon pro-type plug for a remote.

I prefer to let Laszlo deliver my switches ready-made ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hi Saskia,

Wanted to ask you about the different camera's this weekend in Teuge if you're there. I'm the videoguy of 4igami. I've already shot some tandems and have done so with manual focus because the standard lens was too slow for auto-focus.

I've also been looking at the Canon 550D which also looks nice. The camera will also be used for shooting other pictures than skydiving only.

I just want a DSLR which is better then my previous 450D and can be used for all purposes. I don't mind buying additional lenses for the camera.
Blue skies!

Wanted to ask you about the different camera's this weekend in Teuge if you're there. I'm the videoguy of 4igami.

I know :P And I'll be there this weekend hopefully, provided my arm/shoulder is OK by then and I can jump.

What's wrong with your 450?

In general, you'll want to put more money into glass than into the camera body itself, ie, getting a good lens generally will help you more than getting another camera ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Wanted to ask you about the different camera's this weekend in Teuge if you're there. I'm the videoguy of 4igami.

I know :P And I'll be there this weekend hopefully, provided my arm/shoulder is OK by then and I can jump.

What's wrong with your 450?

In general, you'll want to put more money into glass than into the camera body itself, ie, getting a good lens generally will help you more than getting another camera ;)

The broke into my home and stole it. Tha't's what's wrong with my 450D.
Blue skies!

Unless you have some reason to prefer the D5100 you should consider the D3100 if you decide on Nikon. You can put the $300 you will save into your lens fund. Lenses never go out of date, but the camera body will in about 2 years. The 3100 is a little smaller and lighter, and 14 mp is plenty.

Both of these have a rubber side door that covers the proprietary plug that doubles as the GPS plug in. The same door covers the USB port and the whole setup is not very elegant because the door is flimsy and not removable. As well the plug is large and awkward.

I found an adapter that will make it accept a standard 2.5mm stereo plug like an early Canon. I got this on Ebay for cheap. Beware of some of the older entry level Nikons, good cameras, but they do not take any kind of plug in shutter release. They use an IR remote instead.

Ken Gowler
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hello Rugby82, okay? Probably, the comments above are correct. Canon or Nikon are better, with more lenses, more accessories and more used in skydiving.

Only I would say my experience with Sony, because you asked about Sony SLT A33.

For over three years I bought my first Sony, A100, due to economic reasons as it was half price at the time.
I made my own swicth, because at that time, there was nobody to make them. Today there is a manufacturer that makes for all brands.
Ultimate blow swicth.

A few months ago I bought a Sony A33 SLT. Since I already have all the lenses for sony, I choose to buy a new, better, than change everything!

I'm quite happy with the SLT A33. The machine is light, shoot 7 frames per second, excellent ISO, has more than 14 megapixels and beyond all that, recording in Full HD.B|

My fisrt test;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1r8EK73pvQ&feature=channel_video_title

Not a quality recording with Mark canon, or a 7D, but it is quite interesting.
Actually I do not have a 7D to compare.
Whatever..

Anyway that's it.

Good choice in buying a new camera and good jumps.;)

Bye

Hi Graiki,

Thanks for this interesting post. The footage looks really great. I've been having alook at the Sony SLT-series because of the facts you stated (less weight and smaller with 7 fps). I will be using a CX-115 for video and am planing to use the DSLR for photo only and maybe for some video when I'm not using it for skydiving.

Can you tell me how the quality of the photo's are with the SLT-A33? If I'm buying a Sony it'll probably be a A55. There is no need to compare the camera with a Canon Mark-series because they are much more expensive and in my opinion too expensive for skydiving.

Greetings,

Erik
Blue skies!

Hola Holger.
I do not know if I'm responding right because my English is bad, but if you mean the remote, where we put a plug;
I think the cameras 290 and 390 do not.
But from the mid-range models, Alpha 450 and upward, and the A33 and A55 models have remote yes.
I use plug, manufactured by ultimate-switch.
http://www.ultimate-switch.com/home/About-Ultimate-Switch

Remote Sony;
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news-gallery/35134/sony-alpha-a33-a55-hands-on/12#image

Good weenkend to All ;)
Graiki

Go and take a look at www.kenrockwell.com He has tons of great information about almost every camera manufacturer and very helpful reviews. I jump a Nikon D90 and happened a Promaster external shutter switch that uses an extension that uses a standard micro-plug. Also, some of the lower end Nikons don't offer external wired shutter switches.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I have been using a Canon 50D which is heavy and my neck is sore :( I've also been looking into the MagicLantern project to see if we could hack up a Canon 550D to capture both full HD video and stills at the same time. This could be a nice solution if you have to do snapshots and video.

-Michael

Thanks for all the very useful replies. After weighing the pros and cons I ended up buying a Canon 550D. It may be a bit heavier, although not as heavy as a XXD or XD serie of Canon, but I also use it a lot when I'm not skydiving.

It would be interesting to hear if there's a possibility to shoot both HD video and still images using only the 550D. I've also bought a CX115 for video to replace my much heavier HC5. All this to spare my neck a bit although my Crossfire helps a lot in doing this.
Blue skies!