Bill_K

Newer Updated Canopy Choices in 2011?

Ok guys, before you jump me for not searching I did. Most all of the threads that I came up with are for canopy's that are several model years old. With all the development in canopy's over the past few years I'm curious to know what some good newer designs might be.

I'm looking to load it between 1.8 and 2.0, needs to have reasonably soft on heading openings as the vast majority of jumps that I do are working camera jumps. I would like something in the 9 cell range and will be doing some wing suiting in it as well.

Thoughts?

I was looking at the Pilots, but am worried that I'd be over loading them. I have two spectre 120's right now, but have been having some issues that lead me to believe that I may be over loading them a tad. Our DZ has banned turns over 90's so I'm not able to build the speed that I used to with the spectres and it's very much changed the final stage flair characteristics for me at my wing loadings.

Is it time to start looking at cross braced or other types of canopies? I also have a Heatwave 135 that I have no issues with, which is why I was thinking/leaning toward 9 cells.

Thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully respond with helpful/respectful advice or ideas.

BK

Our DZ has banned turns over 90's so I'm not able to build the speed that I used to with the spectres and it's very much changed the final stage flair characteristics for me at my wing loadings.

Those canopies should land fine straight in, with no extra speed induced. If you can't do that, the last thing you need is a higher performance canopy.

Our DZ has banned turns over 90's so I'm not able to build the speed that I used to with the spectres and it's very much changed the final stage flair characteristics for me at my wing loadings.

Those canopies should land fine straight in, with no extra speed induced. If you can't do that, the last thing you need is a higher performance canopy.

Predictable. Very helpful too... :S:|

Predictable.

OK, I'll lie to you.

Those canopies must be broken, you should stop jumping them right away!!!! What you need are some fancy new canopies, because that will solve all your problems. You should really look into a high performance swooping canopy because those things seem to fly the best, and you better raise your WL too because everyone who jumps them is at a higher WL than you. Make those changes, and you should be just as cool as anyone on the DZ!!!! Good luck and blue skies!!!!!

Dave,

I bow to your skygodness! You are the man. Never has there been such a helpful post!! I shall print and frame it so that all may bow and worship you!

I would have responded earlier, but I am actually out skydiving and using those 120's just fine. I am still not super thrilled with the sink that I get at the end, but you super helpfulness above when printed and placed in my locker will inspire me to become a true super hero like yourself!!:|

BK

Think again pal. It's got nothing to do with me, I'm not the one jumping canopies I can't comfortably land with 'only' a 90 degree turn.

I didn't create this, you did. You posted one of the hallmarks of a guy jumping the wrong parachute, they don't like landing it straight in. All I did was point it out, and if it wasn't me, someone else would have.

Skygod? No. Happened to be online and reposnded to your post before someone esle did? Yeah, that's me.

What about a Sabre2?

AggieDave has quite a lot of experience with loading them at your desired level, IIRC.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

What about a Sabre2?

AggieDave has quite a lot of experience with loading them at your desired level, IIRC.

I used the Sabre2s for a long time as well, and they are very fine parachutes for sure! Specially jumping with cameras.

I find it interesting that the Spectre is not working out for you as well.. is the canopy still in good shape / trim? Older lines maybe?
I use a Spectre 135 on bigger ways and on all those, there is a "no more than 90" rule and it works perfect for me, but the first couple jumps on the canopy it didn't... for the simple reason that the brake lines were too short (I bought it used)

Have the canopies checked out for sure ;)

I have over 2500 jumps on Sabre2 150s and I love them (1.3:1 loading, just got my 3rd line set on one of mine). Good, soft openings, and I can get back from a long spot if need be (try that is you're videoing the last tandem out using a Spectre). I did demo Spectres, and while their openings were very nice, I didn't like their landings or their glide ratio. When I questioned PD about the landings, they did mention you have to "work it pretty hard" to get a good landing. Not to open old wounds in this thread, just repeating what I was told.

If you take the wingsuit out of the mix I also would give the Crossfire 2 my vote. That is what i am jumping as well as a Samurai. Both of these canopies should give you what you are looking for. Openings on the Crossfire are nice and soft.

A less popular and cheaper option would be a Nitro/Nitron. I have flown these and would compare them to a Crossfire 2 IMO.

Thoughts?

I think Pilots are a great choice. They open great, fly great, land great, and they're not overpriced. Besides that, they're easy to sell when you decide you want something else. I can't see a bad side to that equation.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I have a demo coming. :)
How are you doing these days? Long time no see.