skydivex3m

Filming 8way

Im new to filming 8way. Have done a lot of 4 way, mostly from tailgate. Now Im looking at filming a lot of 8way this year, mostly from sidedoor. What should I pay attention to? I see a lot of video guys peel on exit. But are there some tricks to learn?
https://icarusanddaedalusadventures.blogspot.com/

A few weeks ago at our DZ we (2 videoflyers) were having the same questions :S

Both of us have filmed tandems and 4way, mostly. I got drafted to fill in filming sequentials (8/9 way non-linked exits) and the other videoflyer was filming "real" 8way. Both from grand caravans.

I just tried stuff: click. The leading exit I was a bit too early on 2 jumps, 1 was fine, at least I never was late... Tried 1 peeling exit too, decided to change my heading back on that jump, no idea if that's the idea or not :$.

The other flyer was peeling at first (to avoid hitting the team or leaving too early) but got told by the coach to lead. Not easy... He ended up hitting the team once at least.

So, peeling is definitely easier. But harder for the coach. If you figure out the trick to lead right, let me know ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

As previously stated, leading is more challenging than peeling, timing-wise. If you're comfortable with leading in 4-way, just watch the door jams on the ground and figure out how to pick up the exit count. Depending on the climb-out you might need to go low and outside, leaning way back to see around the rear float, or up high to look over the top of the rear floater down into the middle of the door.

I disagre with the idea of jumping up and out, especailly on a somethig the size of an 8-way. It's going to take a second to get it all out of the door, and lay down a pretty big burble in the process. Try staying tight to the aircraft, and sliding down the side of the fuselage, presenting with a little rightward slide (on a left side door aircraft). This keeps you off to the side of the burble, so even if you're late on the exit, you're not far from clean air. By hopping up and out, you're hopping right into the dead zone.

I disagre with the idea of jumping up and out, especailly on a somethig the size of an 8-way. It's going to take a second to get it all out of the door, and lay down a pretty big burble in the process. Try staying tight to the aircraft, and sliding down the side of the fuselage, presenting with a little rightward slide (on a left side door aircraft). This keeps you off to the side of the burble, so even if you're late on the exit, you're not far from clean air. By hopping up and out, you're hopping right into the dead zone.

+1

The other flyer was peeling at first (to avoid hitting the team or leaving too early) but got told by the coach to lead. Not easy... He ended up hitting the team once at least.

If you don't hit the team once, you're not trying hard enough :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I totally agree with the thinking on this but I did it the whole season, 200+ team jumps & all through nationals (got a gold medal too). Just like with any leading exit, timing is critical. The problem I found with just sliding down the side of the plane is that I end up flat (in line) with the formation & it's a lot of work getting back up above them. With jumping out, even when I was too early, I was never flat on them. As for the burble...yeah it got me once...but just once.

It's really what works for you. This worked great for me. Oh, I should also add that the team launched the SAME chunk every time, and the count was always very consistant.
my pics & stuff!

If you don't hit the team once, you're not trying hard enough :)

I told them that my grabbing the tail of the tail on exit was just a sign of affection.

/girls 4way
//I don't think they bought it.

In my opinion what you are doing on the video is ok, but you are leaving still too early.
Jumping away from the plane is fine.
But you only need to jump backwards, not to the side. Jumping backwards only (no need to slide under the plane!) will give you clean air as the team is jumping out of the door and away from the plane.
Yours will be the air between the plane and the launching 8way.
Done like this you can lead by leaving almost the very same moment as the rearfloater, on a perfect shot you be within touchingrange for the first second.
In general timing for great leading 8way shots is way more critical (compared to 4way) as the average 8way exit is a) flater (the one on your video is pretty steep for an 8way), b) will become even flater sooner and c) "floats" more on the hill.
Try to fly up and forward as fast as you can.
To do so don´t give full wings by having the arms extended all the way forward as this would be counterproductive to your straight legs/forward movement, the arms in front would of course like you to backslide.
Instead, give full wings by having the arms lower than the rest of your body (see attachment).
Done like this you can give full wings without the need to have the arms too much out in front of you.
Done correctly this can result in an incredible fast forward- and upwardmotion, be careful not to overshoot!
To make this work to the max, the set-up of your wings is important as well, have ´em as short as possible, just long enough to be able to reach everything you need (that short that teammates would need to open skyvandoors for you), if you make the set-up shorter, make it shorter especially at the "leg-end".
This will bring the center of all the "windforces" that affect/attack your wings and your body, closer to the "weightcenter" of your body.
This will result in a lower tendency for backslides every time you use your wings, leaving more of your "legpower" for forwardmotion...
During the last moments of your video, it´s visible that you start turning to adjust the framing, to line up the long side of the formation with the long side of your frame - that´s great!
Try to start turning even sooner!
As soon as you are on your way up and forward you can initiate the 90 degree turn, try to have completed the turn the sooner the better.
If the day comes that your teammates get even better and that the first point is for example an open accordion you´ll need to hurry! (see second attachment, on this one I made it just in time to look nice but for a perfect framing I would have needed to be even faster)
If you are doing great and looking for a new challenge, try to do it all without widelens.
Like this you´ll have to do a lot of vertical up and down work to adjust the framing in time for every point.
A lot of work and a lot of fun with a faster team.
In addition it will make you a very faster mover/great flyer on your belly if it comes to covering some distances...
The other side of the coin of filming 8way is that you will never ever wanna do 4way video again, great 8way video is so much more fun and requires more skills as well...
My thoughts...

Very nice technique - very similar to the French Video guy at the world meet in 2006. He got cameraman of the meet so the judges obviously liked it too!

I liked it as well, been asked in the dubbing room by the chief judge (which I knew very well, unfortunately he ins´t living anymore) who´s the best videographer in my opinion. I told him that giving the award to anyone but the guy from the french 8way (I think it was Alex Pereira) would be ridiculous, and so they did.
French 8way-video rules! Big time! The videos Alex did are what I would call perfect, it doesn´t get any better than that. Outstanding exits every time, great framing, and steeeeep!

Very nice technique - very similar to the French Video guy at the world meet in 2006. He got cameraman of the meet so the judges obviously liked it too!

Thanx for the props. The other methods never worked for me, and this wasn't my first rodeo. I have to give credit to brett thomas from texas on this though. He showed me some vid of how he was shooting daguailo (?) In 2003 I think it was.... (I know I spelled the team name wrong)
my pics & stuff!