keithbar

wide angle lens for the sony cx series cams

I'm finally going to upgrade from my trusty rusty pc 101 and pc 1000 series cams and going tapeless. what's everyone using for a wide angle on their cx series cams? I have allways been happy with my .45 for outside video and .2 for shooting inside. I guess i'm asking what thread size I'm looking for and brands people like. thanks in advance guys
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Keep in mind that different cameras have different fields of view before you even put a wide-angle lens on them. I find my CX150 to be much narrower than any of my previous jump cameras (HC-5, HVR-A1U, TRV-38, TRV-900, PC-1). I would look at the image before simply picking a number that a manufacturer states. The Raynox .32 on my CX150 produces a narrower image than my Raynox .50 on my HC-5. I personally wish I could find something a little wider that was still zoomable (although some don't use the zoom function).

For a lens summary, check out this link from Hypoxic:
http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews/61-cx100.html

BTW, I believe the CX series all have a 30mm thread, and most of these lenses require a 30-37mm adapter.

not owning a high def t.v. or seeing any need for one. I went with a standard def. sx 45 model " I know it has that damn built in usb cable hanging off it but I've solved that issue. and I'm really looking for what thread size do i need for a sony sx-45? I'm praying it is the same as the cx series so i will be able to try a few at the dz and see if i want a .45 .2 or .3 I have allway like the .45 for tandems and outside video. and the .2 for inside stuff but. that is on the pc series. i guess one thing about going tapeless is the batt ought last longer no? even thought it's smaller?:)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Century .5 and Raynox .3 have given me the best results. Raynox is excellent but heavy. Century is reasonable but needs two adapters for CX100 (30 to 37 and 37 to 43 I think) and it's not zoom through. But it's light and works well enough for good 4-way, 8-way and bigway video.

Century .5 and Raynox .3 have given me the best results. Raynox is excellent but heavy. Century is reasonable but needs two adapters for CX100 (30 to 37 and 37 to 43 I think) and it's not zoom through. But it's light and works well enough for good 4-way, 8-way and bigway video.

if you search ebay you can find 30-43mm rings.

at the dz this weekend a guy with a a cx 105 that had a 30 to to 37 mm step up ring and threaded it out of the ring and straight into my sx-45 so my sx 45 has a 37mm thread. if that makes any sense. :P

well the century .5 by 37mm should be on the way. it's cheap enough. and we will see. it should thread up no problem. I may have to try out the raynox .3 though.

I've had both. I love the Century. The Raynox shot great video when it didn't fog up but all through the summer months here in MO I constantly battled fogging. I'm glad I made the switch. The Century has NEVER fogged up on me.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Hi Phil,
I don't understand why you keep saying the new CXs cams have narrower angle, when is exactly the opposite, maybe you test it with the active steadyshot mode on, then they are narrower, still not as much, but with standard or off, they are way wider. With the Century 0.55 are a perfect match!
Best,
Gustavo

Keep in mind that different cameras have different fields of view before you even put a wide-angle lens on them. I find my CX150 to be much narrower than any of my previous jump cameras (HC-5, HVR-A1U, TRV-38, TRV-900, PC-1). I would look at the image before simply picking a number that a manufacturer states. The Raynox .32 on my CX150 produces a narrower image than my Raynox .50 on my HC-5. I personally wish I could find something a little wider that was still zoomable (although some don't use the zoom function).

For a lens summary, check out this link from Hypoxic:
http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews/61-cx100.html

BTW, I believe the CX series all have a 30mm thread, and most of these lenses require a 30-37mm adapter.

well the century .5 by 37mm should be on the way. it's cheap enough. and we will see. it should thread up no problem. I may have to try out the raynox .3 though.

Century does not make a .5 in 37mm. They do make a .55 in 37mm

your right my bad. it's the .55 century threads up fine nice screw on lens cover looks like a nice match for the camera