skyflyergr

wide angle for sony dcr-dvd108

Hi everyone,

I want to start taking some videos of me and my friends. For that I decided to use my Sony DCR-DVD108 at least for my first steps in to camera flying world:). I mounted in my helmet and everything is ok..well its a little bulky..but I will use it to learn and then I will bay a PC probably..

So, my main question is what kind of lens should I use, .5, .45, .3 e.t.c.?
And also is there a difference between the eBay cheap lenses and the others?

Any help will be appreciated

Blue Skies

A dvd type recorder can have problems with going to altitude as there is not enough pressure to keep the heads from hitting the dvd. Unless this model parks the head and you only record to flash media, expect your camera to be a very expensive paperweight.

And to answer your question, different brand lens/camera combinations will produce different results. Generally, .5 is for more outside video and .3 is for inside video. What do you intend to do?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You may want to find a mentor at your DZ for some beginning camera questions. Not trying to criticize, but if you weren't aware of the problems of using a DVD camera, it makes me wonder what else you may be missing. This person may also have lens recommendations, and/or a lens or two you can put on your camera to see what the resulting image looks like.

I mounted in my helmet and everything is ok..well its a little bulky..but I will use it to learn and then I will bay a PC probably..

You got that backwards. You want to start off with a smaller set-up, and then add to it as you learn to manage the weight and size. That aside, the DVD cameras are not skydiver 'friendly' for the reasons already stated.

PC cameras are extremely inexpensive these days, look for a used PC-5 or PC-9 on ebay. The other alternative is a CX camera, and the CX-100 can easily be found for under $300 used on ebay, closer to $200 if you're patient. Another alternative is a non-high def Sony built on the same frame as the CX line. They are also tapeless cameras, very small and light, and should be available for less than $200 on ebay.

Here's what you do, in this order -

1. Research the camera options above, and see what's available.

2. Consult a local camera flyer before buying anything.

3. Buy a camera.

4.Consult the local camera flyer, with your camera and helemt in-hand, and get advice on the best way to mount it.

5. Mount it

6. Consult the local camera flyer to confirm the mounting is 'safe' and to get some tips on how to start jumping it.

First of all I want to thank you all for your replays though I fount the most of them quite hustle than helpful....

So, to end this up I do have spoken with an experienced camera flyer in my DZ, as far as concerns the safety issues we run them again and again and everything is O.K.

He sagest me as "davelepka" to bay a PC, but the thing is I don't want to spend money yet. First I want to see if I like it, if it suits me, gain some experience if yes and then I will invest in more professional system.

Voila..

Is there anyone now how can really help?

Again thank you all for your time.

but the thing is I don't want to spend money yet. First I want to see if I like it, if it suits me, gain some experience if yes and then I will invest in more professional system.

1) camera flying costs (a lot of) money
2) a dvd camera is totally unsuitable for skydiving
3) you don't listen to any of the advice here from very experienced jumpers + your own camera flyer

Good luck with camera flying :|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

First of all I want to thank you all for your replays though I fount the most of them quite hustle than helpful....

So, to end this up I do have spoken with an experienced camera flyer in my DZ, as far as concerns the safety issues we run them again and again and everything is O.K.

He sagest me as "davelepka" to bay a PC, but the thing is I don't want to spend money yet. First I want to see if I like it, if it suits me, gain some experience if yes and then I will invest in more professional system.

Voila..

Is there anyone now how can really help?

Again thank you all for your time.

Once you jump that DVD camera, it will be a brick and you will have to buy another camera anyway. But hey, it's your money to spend and your camera to kill.
Good luck on getting anymore advice, seeing as no one will waste their time since you only want to get an opinion that supports what you wanted to do in the first place.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Wait, WHAT?

B|B|B|

There was not a single post above that being anything but nice and trying to help a newbie camera flyer.

But of course you know everything already don't you.

ciel bleu,
Saskia