CHRCNF

What Setup Are You Using?

Spot:

Here was a recent thread about video hardware: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4061195;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
*edit for Clicky

The gear itself changes so fast it is hard to keep up with, but the take away from most of what I have read on here and other places is that HD rendering uses a lot of processing power, and hard drive bandwidith. Fast HD's (many of use have separate hard drives for reading and writing the files), and as much processing speed/cores as you can afford seem to be the way to go. I also believe most are using a PC workflow as opposed to Mac.

Things to keep in mind: A lot of this discussion is around doing video editing for a business. You don't have to build a Billy Baddass machine to edit AVCHD video...but you might need something like that to do so and get it on a DVD in 4 mins. So if you are just doing it for yourself and for fun....you don't have to have top of the line gear, it will just take a little longer.

you really don't need a bad-ass machine to edit AVCHD anymore. I'm regularly editing AVCHD on my crummy apple MBP Bootcamp side (native AVCHD when it's on the PC side). it's slow to render, but I don't need to deliver a DVD in 5 mins from my laptop. The slowdown isn't in the DVD render, it's in the project render. Then again...if I'm using my laptop, it usually means I'm editing straight off the card or camera.