billvon

Video comparison - CX100+Century .5 vs T2i+Canon15mm

Did the above test this weekend, comparing video from the T2i+Canon 15mm to the CX100+Century .5. Video was remarkably similar. Canon had a bit more shake since the CX100 had its image stabilizer on, and I think the "wings" on the 15mm lens don't help matters much. But it's very, very close. I was surprised - I assumed I would see a radical improvement in the Canon.

I'll try to get some frame captures up.

Well the colors and the dynamic range don't look close. The Canon has actual gray shades in the jump suits rather than just crushed blacks, and the greens in the background are very different. Plus look at the lack of detail in the far jumper's rig on the CX frame.

The CX looks like it has its sharpening cranked way up, but both images look very soft. I'm curious what the shutter speed and aperture on the Canon were set to.

Did the above test this weekend, comparing video from the T2i+Canon 15mm to the CX100+Century .5. Video was remarkably similar. Canon had a bit more shake since the CX100 had its image stabilizer on, and I think the "wings" on the 15mm lens don't help matters much. But it's very, very close. I was surprised - I assumed I would see a radical improvement in the Canon.
I'll try to get some frame captures up.

I've been shooting Canon T2i in video mode for awhile. In default mode, yes, it's nothing remarkable. When shot flat in manual setting, then color graded in post, that's when it shines.

Bill
http://dslrforvide.com

I'd be very curious to see the actual video footage. I'll admit that I haven't done any DSLR video in freefall, but I have been doing more and more of it on the ground. Usually, high shutter speed on video is kinda jarring and stroboscopic (think of the D-Day beach scenes in saving Private Ryan). But in this case the ground looks almost sharper than the jumpers. How did you work out your focus settings? (Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but this is a good comparison IMHO.)

>I'm curious what the shutter speed and aperture on the Canon were set to.

Shutter was 1/100, aperture was auto. Next time I'm going to try 1/500.

Motion blur is not a bad thing in video. Actually, it's preferred in most of the situations. It's what our eyes are used to when seeing movies. Remember that most of the motion pictures are shot 24 fps, 1/48 shutter speed.
Shooting freefall footage in 1/500th is not recommended, since rolling shutter effect (jello'ing so common in GoPro footage) will be too apparent.
I was quite disappointed with Canon video footage when I started shooting DSLR videos. There simply was too much contrast and not enough dynamic range.
CX100/110 looks pretty good most of the time, often better than Canon's footage in an auto mode without post processing.
When it comes to GREAT film-like footage, however, it's hard to beat DSLR (or Micro 4/3), when tweaked close to perfection while shooting and during post.
Well.. other than RED, but we're talking about a reasonable amount of $$ on the helmet. :ph34r:

Bill
http://www.dslrforvideo.com

>How did you work out your focus settings?

Took some shots on the ground, zoomed in, checked them out. Infinity focus looked good in to about a meter at 1/500, so I left it on manual at infinity. Figured the depth-of-field would only get better with the longer exposure.

>I'm curious what the shutter speed and aperture on the Canon were set to.

Shutter was 1/100, aperture was auto. Next time I'm going to try 1/500.

It's gonna jello like mad, but you'll figure that out for yourself.

some ideas for DSLR footage improvement:

1/50 or 1/60 shutter speed (higher speed -> stroboscopic look);
Use ND filter;
Flat mode (Sharpenesssss, contrast way to left), yep, additional time in post;
Custom WB or K;
Adobe RGB;
Use Manual mode;
Highlight tone priority Disable;
Auto lighting optimizer Disable;
Use ISO 100, 160, 320, 640, 1250 (for 5dm2, for other may be different. Those isos have less noise;) ).