slimaffi

Canon dslr lockups / freezes

From the following link:
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eosdigital5/firmware.html

They tell you how to access the firmware version on your XS camera:

How do I check the camera's current firmware version number?

Select

mode (or one of the other creative modes). The version of the firmware will not appear in the basic zone.

Turn the Power Switch , and press the

button to display the menu. Press the Cross keys, and you will see the "Firmware Ver.X.X.X" at the end of the settings shown in "Set-up 3 (Yellow)", which is the currently installed firmware version number.

It is a little more clear with the picture from the website, but you should be able to figure it out, as more options are available when you have the camera set to a "creative" mode.

I checked this for my camera and I have the latest firmware, version 1.0.7. So for me this apparently isn't the problem.

Check to make sure your auto off is NOT set.

When I had the default setting it would always lock up.
Turn the power save/auto off to OFF. ( i forget the actual setting name either off or infinity etc.)
My photos

My Videos

I'd thought of firmware too, and I'm pretty sure mine are both up to date. I'm going to check when I get back to the dz Sat. My auto shutoff is set to 15 minutes, and I only turn the camera on just prior to jump, so I don't think that's the issue. Appreciate all the brainstorming though.

Check your jack plug. I found that the jack plug had come out of the plug port once as I climbed out on exit causing the camera to lock up.

I made a camera condom that encloses the camera and the plug and never had the same issue again.

If you are having the issue on a change of orientation - say on climb out or transitioning from flat to head-down or head up on deployment, the change of airflow over the helmet might be pulling the plug out of the port.

Interesting. The times I found mine locked under canopy, I was able to cycle power and then the switch worked fine, so I think the plug position can be ruled out. If the switch uses only 2 conductors, could a different plug with a non-conducting 3rd ring eliminate that possibility altogether?