slimaffi

Canon dslr lockups / freezes

I've had 2 different Rebel models - xti and now xs lockup in freefall, usually mid jump. I've used different tongue and bite switches, and different model CF and SD cards. Even different lens makes (canon & sigma). Once the camera locks up, even shutter presses won't unfreeze it. Only cycling the power switch resets the unit. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

AF, Shutter priority 1/500s, ISO (100-400 depending on lighting), everything else on defaults. Haven't been able to view the display since I have to reset the camera and get some landing approach shots. I forgot to add that it happened on my original Rebel XT as well. I've used about 4 different cables with the various models. I have not been able to reproduce the lockups on the ground.

Don't have them in front of me, but will verify. Nothing else consistent. The xt and xti used CF cards, and the xs SD. No one else at the dz has these issues, though they use the same units. I had the same thought about slow cards, but if that were true, I should be able to replicate the behavior by just holding the shutter on full. It just slows down once the buffer fills, and doesn't lock up. During freefall I shoot intermittently, and only shoot continuous on exits and openings. The problem seemed to get worse on the xti over time, and finally I bought the xs. If a cable did short, shouldn't that just fill the card?

I used the standard kit lens for a long while with similar results. I got the sigma hoping that would help, but it didn't change things. I'm about to the point of switching brands now.

The error99 thing was exactly why I switched to Nikon a few years back. No regrets ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've had the same thing happen. Shoot continuously during freefall and have gotten down, checked pics only to find that the bottom end of freefall is missing. Has only happened twice in the last year. Have no clue why. I have to pull a few frame grabs from the cx100 for the bottom end to give the customer. While twice in a year isn't a huge deal, I hate the possibility of equipment failure on someone's only first jump!

http://www.google.com/search?q=canon+lockup+freeze

Seems spread across many models. Some think possibly temperature, some humidity. Wish I'd done the research before buying the XS :|

Don't throw away your Canon yet. My XTi was doing the same thing. I never could determine the cause but I sent it back to the factory under warranty and havent had a problem with it since!!

If yours is still in warranty you should try that first.

Hope this helps.

Blue Skies,
Jason

Neither one is under warranty unfortunately. I thought maybe it was altitude related as well, but that doesn't explain why it's intermittent. Nor does it explain the issues ground level folks (see google search above) have had. I'm beginning to think it's a design flaw, and stressing the casing (pressure changes?) makes it happen.

>I'm beginning to think it's a design flaw, and stressing the casing (pressure changes?) makes it happen.

Modern cameras are well vented enough that the pressure change does not affect the camera. Rapidly changing temperatures (which can result in condensation) is the most likely culprit. To test this, try a neoprene cover for the camera, and make sure it fits well. If that solves the problem, then it was likely temperature related.

Hey Slim,
I had problems with my XTI / Sigma 10-22 combination not capturing any freefall stills. I don't know if it was locking up or not. What solved the problem for me was to set the focus to manual and rubber band the focus to between 3ft and infinity before exit.
At the time, I assumed the camera was having difficulty focusing. Now I'm wondering if it was something else causing the problem.
I just bought an XS and am having the same problem as you, no freefall stills on 3 camera jumps this weekend using the stock lens set to autofocus.
If it were humidity related, I would think that some of the other camera jumpers at GC or Emerald would be experiencing this problem, too.
Please post here if you figure it out. I'll do the same.

You know, I had soft focus problems starting with my original XT, and the Xti both with the stock lens. I started using autofocus and AI Servo to solve those issues. I agree about humidity - it should affect all canon's equally, but that seems not the case. It couldn't hurt to try neoprene though, as Bill Von mentioned. I'm just pretty disgusted with the whole thing now, but I'll probably try some neoprene and yet another brand of card. As a fallback, I'm going to also mount my gopro and have those as backups. The video frame grab stills from my setup are only 640x480. Anyone know how the CX-based stills turn out?