soulbabel

GoPro Fullface Mount from Square1

I saw a picture of a GoPro mounted onto the lens of a Phantom X helmet in this month's Parachutist. I think this is the bracket that was featured in the picture:

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p522.asp#GoProMounts

Does anyone have any experience using it? I was thinking about trying it out on the top part of my Z1 visor. I'm guessing there would be a bit of an overhang, but they didn't have any measurements listed for me to determine how much.

Here's the picture of the GoPro mounted on the Phantom X.

I prefer the Z1 visor over goggles during freefall, and I like being able to lift the visor up when under the canopy, so I was never interested in mounting my GoPro on top of my helmet and losing these abilities. But after seeing the new visor mount, I tried the same positioning with the basic mounts that came with my GoPro. The only mount that allowed me to angle the camera correctly was rather long (see attached pictures.) It's only gaffer taped on, because I wasn't too thrilled about it and doubt I'll jump it like this anyhow. So I'm wondering how well the Square1 mount will work on a Z1 visor.

Anyone have thoughts about the Square1 mount?

I don't think you can have a cutaway with a Z1. However, my Z1 slides off my head with minimal effort, even when I have the chin strap buckled. However, it fits well enough that it's never fallen off my head after at least 400 jumps, and 30 hours of freeflying in the tunnel. I can only speak for myself about my Z1's fit, though, as I know a few people who've had theirs slip off in freefall.

I wasn't planning on jumping that unicorn mount anyhow. Also, I'm thinking the footage would be rather shakey with my helmet not being tight on my head, despite the really wide angle lens.