Skwrl

Question re: Carbon Fiber

Hi all,

I have a Vapor Wes Pro that I got recently, which I really like. I had been jumping it with a T2i and a CX110, but I recently got a CX550. The CX550 is significantly bigger than the CX110, for those who aren't familiar with it.

When I originally set up my Wes Pro, I trimmed the plate to the top of the helmet (in other words, I got rid of the "lip" that surrounded the top of the helmet). The lip had an overhang of probably 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) on the left and right side of the helmet. I now need that space back because the CX550 is so damn large, so I'm planning on buying a new carbon fiber plate that I will bolt to the existing plate. The new plate will overhang the side of the helmet slightly (like the one from the factory does, probably a 1/2 inch on both sides).

The question I have relates to the carbon fiber plate I am going to get. The existing plate is about 1/8 inch (0.31 cm) thick. Is there any reason to go larger for the plate that will be more exposed to the air stream (i.e., the overhang). I can also go a lot smaller with that plate (e.g., 0.059 inches). I'm assuming that wouldn't be a good idea due to the potential shear forces on it (two expensive cameras attached to it with quick releases).

Any thoughts?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I would go with 1/8 in. (3mm), which is stock. It is plenty strong enough for a little overhang like that, otherwise SkySystems wouldn't ship it that way. Personally I wouldn't go smaller. There is no real benefit weight-wise.

For some individual camera plates and parts I use 4mm stock. But that is primarily to give more room to countersink the 1/4-20 machine bolts for attaching cameras.