billvon

Canon 14mm EF vs Sigma 15mm EX DG

Whoa, do you mean the Canon 15mm?

The Canon 14mm is huge, heavy and pricey$$$, but an L-series so should be super sharp.
The Sigma isn't even in the same league.

If you meant the Canon 15 vs. the Sigma 15, I'd definitely say spend the extra $70 on the Canon. That's my standard tandem lens. i've also used a 10-22 and like the 15 better.
http://www.exitshot.com

Some years ago I spent some time comparing glass. Put a body on a tripod with completely manual settings and took shot after shot using the canon and tamron/sigma/whatever other noname glass the camera store had. The results were very significant. 2 identical scenes with identical settings and you'd swear one was taken with a point and shoot camera. The results were published 5-6 years ago but I'll have to see if I can find some of the source images.

All that to say buy the canon glass.

-Michael

Whoa, do you mean the Canon 15mm?

The Canon 14mm is huge, heavy and pricey$$$, but an L-series so should be super sharp.
The Sigma isn't even in the same league.

If you meant the Canon 15 vs. the Sigma 15, I'd definitely say spend the extra $70 on the Canon. That's my standard tandem lens. i've also used a 10-22 and like the 15 better.

+1

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm "rebuilding" from a theft late last year and would be interested in buying the 10-22 if you're going to be selling it....
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Jumped the Canon 15mm for the first time this weekend (for an SSL meet.) A huge improvement over the kit lens and a noticeable improvement over the 10-22mm, especially in the corners of the frame. Even colors are noticeably better.

I've both jumped the Sigma and Canon 15mm lenses and they're quite similar. The most noticeable difference from the two, is the AF speed. With the Sigma 15mm I couldn't use the sport program for tandems because of slow AF speed. It resulted in exit shots beeing bust.

With the Canon, sport porgram works flawlessly on my 450D body(T1i or something?). And if you feel creative, manually a f8 or higher gives brilliant shots! Highly recomennded lens! :)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

lewmonst is right, there is no comparison for Canon glass. Sigma doesn't come close, that said, on your cheap body (IE any rebel) it doesn't matter much. Get a better body like a 20D or 40D and you can SEE the difference!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

lewmonst is right, there is no comparison for Canon glass. Sigma doesn't come close, that said, on your cheap body (IE any rebel) it doesn't matter much. Get a better body like a 20D or 40D and you can SEE the difference!

I don't want to start a completely different discussion, but I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions... a more professional camera does not necessary mean better photos..

Better glass does... Go Canon 15mm like Lew said already

what I was referring to is the common misconception that more MP means better photos, which is why shot for shot my 40D at 10.1MP will produce better photos than the Ti at 18MP.
Of course composure and settings are everything, but all that being equal, the better bodies produce better pictures...by far!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I don't want to start a completely different discussion, but I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions... a more professional camera does not necessary mean better photos..

Better glass does... Go Canon 15mm like Lew said already

I agree with this actually. I watched a professional landscape photographer shoot multiple frames to stitch together with good glass on a T2i. And he sells wall-size landscape, very high quality prints. I giggled when I met him with his T2i on a tripod. All that being said, any camera and lens is only as good as the person using it.
http://www.exitshot.com