jurn

Anyone jumping Panasonic GF1/GF2/G2

I'm currently looking into using micro 4/3 format cameras for jumping. At the moment i'm jmping a canon 450d with a 15mm lens, and although its not the heaviest setup, i can feel it in my neck at the end of the day. So i want to try to get a lighter setup.

At the moment the best option seems to be the GF2 with a 14mm pancake lens.
It seems to be the only camera that i can rig a remote trigger for with relative ease.

However there is a thread in here about the GF1. The guy testing it claims it reacts very slowly. So i thought i'd just ask here before buying a useless camera.

And yes i know about the guy modding the Sony NEXes for the remote shutter release. I'm considering that option as well, but the Panasonic seems lie a better option as i dont have to mess with the camera and void warranty etc.....

How do you get remote shutter release on GF2?

blue ones
mei

Here i a thread about a remote shutter release on the GF1. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3876330;search_string=gf1;guest=77514184#3876330

GF2 should be the same. My plan is to make a little harness that i can insert between the camera and my bite switch to test the concept. If it works i might modify the biteswitch.

Sadly GF2 is not the same. Been down that road mate. [:/]

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/ Scroll down to Specifications compared.

DMW-RSL1 is for GF1 only, they removed the remote shutter release port on gf2... Maby you can do same kind of HW mod as NEX5 but i just went with a JayR modded nex instead. Saved me a few grams to. :D

Ok. Thanks for saving me on the GF2 then :)Thought it had a remote shutter port like the GF1
Guess that leaves me with one less option......
G2 or G10 could still work, but will be heavier than the NEX5.....

Are you happy with the NEX5? Any chance you could compare it to a typical Canon/Nikon DSLR setup?

Live in Sweden so it's another couple of month before I can jump it. When i do the odd photo job i use my nikon d300. And off course you cant really compare the easy to make different settings when you have physical wheels and buttons to make them with on the nikon, and just a GUI menu on the NEX. That said it is easier with the nex than i thought it would be. As far as picture quality i have no complaints. I will definatly bring it as a backup on an important job and it might replace the nikon as a vacation cam. I thing it will do the skydiving job perfect. It keeps the settings i set so all i need to do is power it up and start shooting. Also it is plenty fast. Hope this helps.