icarus93

video edit

I do my own edits. I have also been editing for a few of the other camera flyers at my home DZ. I charge them $6 per edit, which includes postage since we usually edit at home and mail the DVD to the customer since we don't have packers or editors at the DZ.

I am seriously considering charging more since I am in the VERY EXPENSIVE process of switching to NLE.

I wonder what the going rate for an edit is..?? Seems like I paid $7 per edit at Skydive the Farm back a couple of years ago and they didn't have any postage expenses.

Blue Skies,
Jason

I've worked at a couple of DZ's where we had video editors. Personally, I work a full time job usually 50 hours a week and Im in Grad school. I love having a video editor to complete my videos. It saves me from having to do it during the week and mailing them out. However, I don't know if I would pay more than 5 or 6 bucks to have them edited, if I was charged more than that, I'd probably suck it up and do it myself.

I edit all my own stuff. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do as nice a job. I wouldn't do it for under $10 a vide either. I did pay someone at couch freaks to edit for me one year ($10 a vid) but after watching what they were churning out I swore I'd never let someone else do it again. I have shot video at a dropzone where the dzo did the edits and I just gave him the raw video. I never did see the end result but the dzo was a video guy too so I think he probably did a good job. I just never checked. (It was only for a day.)

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

We have an editor at my tandem concession and it's pretty much up to the discretion of the camera flyers as to whether we use her or not. I love editing so i try to edit as much of my own stuff as i can. However when we have a super busy day and are on every second load sometimes it gets a little difficult. If she does edit for us we pay her 50 Rand per edit which works out to around $7 US.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I've worked at 2 DZs with editors that will edit for you...

At one of them the editors are paid by the dz directly, on computer systems/dvds provided by the dropzone and are delivered to the students almost imediately. The videographers do have the option to do the edits themselves as well, the rate paid to the editors is $5 and doesn't have an effect on the videographers pay.

At the other dz the I've been at the editors are also paid $5 and I never really figured out if the systems were owned by the dz or the editors but paying for the editing was the responsiblity of the videographer.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...