icarus93

Velo with video

Looking for feed back on jumping camera with a velo in the 90 range. I have 5000+ jumps and a ton of them are camera jumps. I currently have 2 rigs but only jump the 120 for camera. I also have an Icarus 94 FX which I do not jump with cameras due to inconsistant openings and occasional line twist.

I would like to have a high performance canopy I can work and play with. I have asked velo pilots about openings and they all say "consistant on heading"

Does anyone have any feedback/suggestions prior to spending $?

Are you flattop or side mounted most of the time?

I have a Velo 90 2.6 : 1 and a Velo 96 2.4 : 1 and both work great for video. Your biggest problem (depending on your DZ) will be canopy traffic below you. I tend to brief people who will be landing in the same landing area as to what type of turn I will be executing and my landing direction. Also I explain to them if I see an opportunity to pass and go low on them to view it as a safety thing rather than me cutting in front of them in the landing order, which obviously they agree with. My experience is usually with no more than 3 other video canopies and 5 sport canopies in the air with three distinct and separate landing areas; any more canopies and I don’t feel comfortable swooping for landing. We have a dedicated experienced pilot landing area which helps traffic a lot. So assuming canopies won’t screw you I don’t think it’s a problem.

With the preceding said I had my first entanglement last year after four years of jumping velos and it was some scary shit. Video is on youtube you can search for KramarD “Main Camera Helmet Entanglement.wmv” to find it. I was able to keep my helmet after it cleared the main by biting my tongue switch. A fried of mine lost his full setup two years ago when a FX 2.3:1 riser slapped his chin cup release.

been jumping my 90's w/l at 2.2 almost a year now with a ftp. Aside from the occasional (I'd say 1 in 50) "odd" opening, they open slow and on heading. Can get you back from a long spot or get you down in a hurry.

As soon as I get the funds I'm ordering 84's though :P