DARK

canon 600d

so this looks pretty sweet and will be coming out right around the time ill be in the market for a new dslr

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2024478/canon-unveils-hd-600d-digital-slr

i had a 30d but sold it a year or so ago due to college but wil be getting something come may when i graduate.

just wondering what the difference between this and the 7d would be considering they use the same sensor? i know fps is probably slower but i mean with image quality mainly

id probably buy body only and then a couple decent second hand lens

AFAIK the new 600d is a 550d with a tilt screen, more weight and is a bit larger. If you're buying for skydiving only 550 might be better choice (lighter, smaller, same specs, but no tilt screen).
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

thanks, i would like the hd filming feature but dont know if its worth the extra money after the inevitable price drop of the 550

but do you know what the difference between this body and the 7d body would be given the same lens

after my 30d i always had it in my head to go for the next range up, 7d/5d but as i have sold all my lenses and stuff if i did that id have to settle for a kit lens for a while wereas if i was to get the 600d i could probably afford one or two really good lenses

One major difference is much better auto-focus on the 7D. Plus I believe it is better protected from the weather. And I am not sure if the 600D has manual audio levels for video recording. 7D has higher flash sync too. Although I think the 600D adds remote triggering for external flashes, which is a cool feature (even if I haven't used it yet).

FWIW, I have the 60D, and I love the articulated screen. Great for video, and it is nice to leave it closed (i.e., reversed) when the camera is being transported, or just hanging around my neck. It helps protect it from damage and scuffs.

Of course, none of these things may matter for skydiving, and the higher weight of the 7D is a negative for jumping.

Of course, none of these things may matter for skydiving, and the higher weight of the 7D is a negative for jumping.

thanks for that, that helps alot

am i mad to think that i should take advantage of my youth / strength / health while i can and put up with the extra weight while i can for the possibility of getting some great shots?

for tandem video and stills grand i could probably use go pros and the customer would be happy but id like to train with and be able to jump with top of the range gear and expect high quality results from myself

am i mad to think that i should take advantage of my youth / strength / health while i can and put up with the extra weight while i can for the possibility of getting some great shots?

Only if you want to keep your youth/strength/health. (Personally, I think your ill-advised to even add a camera at this point in your skydiving career.) One bad opening with an overweight camera helmet can give you an injury that you will have the rest of your life. Believe me (I know). And especially if you are planning on doing tandems some day, and hence, lots 'o jumps, I would be concerned. A lot of DZs won't accept GoPro quality for paying customers, but there is a big range between that and a full-sized DSLR. I know it is tempting to use the best stuff, but every bit of weight does matter, and I would be cautious of adding weight that doesn't add measurably to your product and does add to your risk.

You can get phenomenal skydiving photos with even a 5 year old Rebel XT.

If you can't do the above, then a heavier camera won't help much. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com