dan7the1man1

Go Pro HD Hero LCD back

With all these options you're spending twice the money you'd be paying for a similar 'complete' Sony setup.

Where can I buy a waterproof Sony camera with a wide angle converter for 190USD ? Skip the water protection. Where can I buy a new, small HD Sony camera with a wide angle converter for 190USD ?

Where can I buy a waterproof Sony camera with a wide angle converter for 190USD ? Skip the water protection. Where can I buy a new, small HD Sony camera with a wide angle converter for 190USD ?

Confirming there is absolutely no difference between go pro HD and Sony HD cameras whatsoever. None at all. That is all. Continue.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

With all these options you're spending twice the money you'd be paying for a similar 'complete' Sony setup. Nice to have the option though for stuff like backviewing cameras during wingsuit flocks (flying nice)

Buy a Drift Stealth HD170. Far superior to the GoPro and can be had for around $300 including an extra battery.

Now that there is a viewer for the GoPro, it would be nice if there were a teleconverter too.

Today I'm mounting the GoPro on my climbing helmet. Looks like it is going to rain too, but I guess I don't have to tape a plastic bag around the camera... Yet another place where the "half price" Sony setup wouldn't work as well.

GoPro and Sony are 2 totally different cameras for different markets. They're not meant to be compared.

GoPro's are for sports action lightweight rugged and decent quality while Sony is geared more towards the person who wants higher quality video for important events, not designed for rugged outdoor use but for spectacular events that u can zoom in on better low light and u can see what you're actually filming.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

GoPro and Sony are 2 totally different cameras for different markets. They're not meant to be compared.

GoPro's are for sports action lightweight rugged and decent quality while Sony is geared more towards the person who wants higher quality video for important events, not designed for rugged outdoor use but for spectacular events that u can zoom in on better low light and u can see what you're actually filming.

+1 on that.

I have both CX and GoPro, two setups, two intended purposes (work and casual). I got GoPro after getting Sony and it filled all the gaps where I would not use CX. They complement each other perfectly. For me at least.
my2c
dudeist skydiver #42

I like my GoPro HD, easy to use, hassle free camera. Saves me money on a special cam helmets, mounts, boxes, hypeyes etc...

Yeh it's snaggy (and it's been discussed to death here) and not the most optimal shape for this kind of sport, but it's still good enough.

Basically it fulfills all my amateur needs (as it does for crap loads of other peeps) and something like a sony would be an overkill for me tbh..

Though personally I don't see a point in an LCD for myself.. I'm in no hurry to view the footage after the jumps and if I I am I just bring a USB cable and connect to any PC to view it..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

+1 on that.

I have both CX and GoPro, two setups, two intended purposes (work and casual). I got GoPro after getting Sony and it filled all the gaps where I would not use CX. They complement each other perfectly. For me at least.
my2c

If you really want a complementary set up try the Drift Stealth HD170 instead of the GoPro. It's far superior in every aspect for skydiving and it already has the LCD viewing screen.

If you really want a complementary set up try the Drift Stealth HD170 instead of the GoPro. It's far superior in every aspect for skydiving and it already has the LCD viewing screen.

is it waterproof ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

One of my buddies has Drift. I thought of it as a nice next step from the GoPro and Contour, but it was a bit too expensive for me. Cheapest were about 300 Euros and I got new GoPro for just 180e (sold my old PC-106 and add some small $$). Big price difference...

IMO, the LCD was nice and useful for quick review and camera setup; the camera was a bit bigger than I expected and the clip-on mount did not look too sturdy. Still, rubberised housing and less snag hazard are plus. Not sure if it could go so deep under water like a GoPro, but I guess it is water resistant.
At a glance, I did not notice significant difference in picture quality, but then again I didn`t have the time to check it some more.
Overall nice choice, but a bit too expensive (for me).
dudeist skydiver #42

I got the GoPro LCD back 2 days ago. It's actually really nice and light weight. Very easy to use with the added controls on the LCD screen side. It comes with 4 different case back options. 2 of them are water resistant just like the original back. The screen is clear and it comes with a built in speaker that's very clear and loud. You can adjust brightness of the screen and volume. You will need to update the firmwear first to get it to work,(easy to do).So, if you have a GoPro and want video replay it is a nice option. They really thought the development through and did not rush it.

Live Large

BD
Base# 1638

I just got one from Gopro, I installed it on a fully charged camera Thursday night and stuck it away in my camera bag. This weekend at the DZ I broke it out and the camera will not turn on.. I took the back off and still the camera wont operate.. I wont even acknowledge the USB in charge mode with the led light... I'm waiting for a reply from Gopro as to what to do next... It's not my primary camera but is nice for inside work fun jumping I hope they will fix it for me without to much hassle...

I did update my firmware about 3 months ago... Should I do this with the viewer on the camera???
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied