EmuuuH

Flat top pro setup

I want to build a flat top pro camera set up in a few months, and i am looking how i want it.

What I want is a sony cx100 and a sony alpha 200 both on top. Sounds easy, but i want to be able to switch things really easy, so two videocamera's instead of video and photo. or stills camera vertical instead of landscape within a few minutes (seconds..) and add a flash..

Can you post pictures of your setup, and tell how you made it?

That's a little harsh perhaps... I actually started jumping with a side mount camera helmet found that it wasn't what I wanted fairly quickly and transistioned into a FTP...

having said that the only difference is that I had other jumpers to get advice and see what I liked and didn't like regarding setup... so you're best bet is always to speak to other local videographers and get advice from them... I've had people ask me for advice and I'm more then happy to help people create safe setups...

now about pictures... there is a thread here in the camera forum full of pictures of camera helmets... a search would have turned it up... but because I'm a nice guy... ;) (at least I try to be... :$)

here it is... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1324044

Pictures of my FTP are in there along with a number of other helmet setups...

Edited to add: I do agree that you should start slowly... I did a few hundred jumps (at least) with just video and only then added a still camera.

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Start with a ftp with just the video 1st and learn that for a few hundred jumps 1st with a 4 way team! Slow down a bit ... Don't get so excited and loose train of thought on both at once !

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Don't worry about the experience, I am jumping a tonfly diablo now, with stills on top and video sidemounted.
But I dont like the side mount.
I've got about 50 jumps video and stills now, and by the time the flat top pro setup is ready i've got at least 300 more camerajumps.

I know about that other topic, but those setups are all pretty old, not with te cx100 etc..

Why the photo camera on top?

If you put 2 quickreleases on a FTP and put a videocamera on one and put a stills camera on the front mount, you have your desired setup. Make sure you route the stills switch and 2 cam-eyes in the helmet. Now, clicking on a 2nd videocamera or a flash in a bracket or rotating the front mount only takes a few seconds.

Edit: or you can click on a stuffed Co-Pilot :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I know about that other topic, but those setups are all pretty old, not with te cx100 etc..

perhaps some of the early photos are... however I know at least my current setup is on there with a CX-100 and a Canon XSi.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=110185;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=110186;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=110187;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=110188;
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Why the photo camera on top?

If you put 2 quickreleases on a FTP and put a videocamera on one and put a stills camera on the front mount, you have your desired setup. Make sure you route the stills switch and 2 cam-eyes in the helmet. Now, clicking on a 2nd videocamera or a flash in a bracket or rotating the front mount only takes a few seconds.

Edit: or you can click on a stuffed Co-Pilot :ph34r:

I want them both on top because that looks a bit more balanced. Or am I wrong here?
Can you see the stills camera when it is on the front bracket?
And do you need a quick release on the front bracket? or can you just use the camera screw?

I want them both on top because that looks a bit more balanced. Or am I wrong here?

You are right. Putting both on top "balances" the weight over the center of your spine. It is much better on your neck (my profile pic not withstanding)!

Can you see the stills camera when it is on the front bracket?

Sometimes this happens, it depends on your cameras, lenses, and image stabilization (it might not show up on a static test on the ground). If you do see the SLR or its lens on video, you screwed up (it looks very amateurish).

>What I want is a sony cx100 and a sony alpha 200 both on top. Sounds easy, but i
>want to be able to switch things really easy, so two videocamera's instead of video and
>photo. or stills camera vertical instead of landscape within a few minutes (seconds..)
>and add a flash..

I'd get a flattop pro with two plates and a Cookie box for the CX100.

On the first plate mount just the CX100 with the Cookie. Wire the bite switch in to the Hypeye. You will make a lot of mistakes; holes drilled in the wrong places, misaligned screws etc. That's fine; just duct tape em over and fix it. You will end up with a well-protected video helmet that's great for both video and (some) stills. Make a bunch of jumps with it to learn it. You _will_ bang the crap out of the camera at first, but that's what the Cookie box is for.

Then take the second plate and start laying it out. Use LiquidLocks this time (or equivalent.) With what you've learned from the first layout, place the cameras and drill the holes for the mounts. Make sure to consider the routing for all the cabling and the lens "look" angles (i.e. make sure your longest still lens isn't visible even on the margins of your video lens.)

Then when you are comfortable with the single camera setup, switch the plates (a ten minute job) and away you go.

Hello,

This is my new Bonehead Composite FTP helmet.

Helmet Manufacture: Bonehead Composite
Model: Flat Top Pro, size M.
Setup preparation: Reinier Bos - www.ramairskysport.com
Team: Atmosfera G4 Portugal 4way

System details:

- ZkullsTM attachment system, complete kit for integration;
- Zkulls CAGE bracket for HD Sony CX116E;
- Zkulls Stills Switch Bracket for panoramic and vertical image setting
- Zkulls BASIC stills plate for Canon DSLR camera;
- HYPEYE D PRO Camcorder, indication and control system;
- Ultimate Switch, the most performance switch for skydive photography "inside" :)
- Schumacher holder and Brent Cross Sight

Next step for this setup:

- Dual camera for 3D skydive video, for the front plate;
- Pro 126 LED Continuous Light;
- Others...

Thanks to Reinier from Ram Air Sport, and Linda from Bonehead.
Nuno Lobo Paulo
Skydive Ultimate Switch . www.ultimate-switch.com
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 00351 919 327 315