Morne

Camera Helmets without cutaways

So they come recommended with cutaways , but some are only optional and with some (http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/212--the-zeus-helmet.html) there is not a cut away system available.

So does a normal clip or velcro tightening system count as a cutaway if you can get to it just as fast as a cutaway system?

I have seen some cutaway systems that are very hard to get a grip on to pull.

The velcro tightening system on a factory diver or oxygen for example just does the same if you practise the procedure to release the helmet?

A Fastex under strain is very difficult to release. Velcro, not so much so.
A LOT of helmets don't have QR systems, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
There is one guy here, search out SKWRL's posts and read his entanglement story and watch the vid. You'll immediately see why a cutaway is a GREAT idea.

A Fastex under strain is very difficult to release. Velcro, not so much so.
A LOT of helmets don't have QR systems, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
There is one guy here, search out SKWRL's posts and read his entanglement story and watch the vid. You'll immediately see why a cutaway is a GREAT idea.

So velcro just as good? If good ep's are used?

Those plastic clips I understand are difficult to release under load . They were designed to take load and not release , have to go a bit "in" to release.

Put it on and tighten it up and then hang your full body weight on it and while doing so have someone try to rip your friken head off by twisting and jerking on it and let's how fast you can find that little loop end on the factory diver, it's called the right tools for the right job!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

So they come recommended with cutaways , but some are only optional and with some (http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/212--the-zeus-helmet.html) there is not a cut away system available.

So does a normal clip or velcro tightening system count as a cutaway if you can get to it just as fast as a cutaway system?

I have seen some cutaway systems that are very hard to get a grip on to pull.

The velcro tightening system on a factory diver or oxygen for example just does the same if you practise the procedure to release the helmet?

If you don't have a good cutaway system when you need one, you may never need one again.

Same goes for a hook knife. Stack the odds in your favor.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Put it on and tighten it up and then hang your full body weight on it and while doing so have someone try to rip your friken head off by twisting and jerking on it and let's how fast you can find that little loop end on the factory diver, it's called the right tools for the right job!

But my point of the first post is that so little helmet have the option of a cutaway system. Which is somewhat concerning especially on purpose built camera helmets with the flat mounting surfaces and what not.

The velcro in that situation will be better than a little plastic clip.

but one has to make sure the snag hazard is as close too zero as possible.

The velcro in that situation will be better than a little plastic clip.

Not if you can't find the damn looped end on the velcro to open it while something try's to rip your head off.

As for other systems that don't have a cutaway as standard, most of those are able to convert and those companies sell the chin cup retro fit package.

I paid a good deal for a flat top pro and have never needed to use my cutaway handle, but it's there and it's part of my EP's should I need to use it, better to have and not need, then to need and not have... I choose to the use the right tools for the job and not seek out half ass way to cut corners to save a buck.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I have a cutaway system on my helmet and would not even consider jumping one without it.

I work very hard at eliminating snag points and mitigating those that can't be eliminated.

One way to look at it is: would you jump a rig that did not have a way to get rid of a malfunctioning main?

I don't ever expect to need the cutaway but I'm damm sure glad I have it and I practice getting to the handle regularly.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.