Jadera

T2i and CX 105 - editing question

Hi everybody,
I need your help/explanations...

Recently I bought T2i/550 d. For footage during skydive I use Cx105. I am shooting in the FH mode (highest bitrate). Also, on the ground I am shooting with T2i/550d. Now i plan to make short movie combining the clips made with both cameras. Please answer to my questions below:
1. Sony shoots AVCHD/16Mb/*.mts format. Canon shoots ?/?Mb/*.mov format.?
2. Is this *.mov format whithout compression (unlike AVCHD)?
3. I usually exported edited movie (shot only with cx 105) as AVCHD (same characteristics as original footage made with cx 105) in order not to lose quality of picture. To which format I should export movie made of combined *.mts and *.mov formats?
4. can somebody please explain difference between format and container?

Thanx to all of you
Best regards

.mts is an mpeg stream extension; in this case it indicates AVCHD. Canon shoots AVC, same thing as a GoPro, but with a better compression mechanism and higher bitrate.

Both cameras are shooting highly compressed footage, just at different compression ratios. Uncompressed HD is massively large. Depending on the acquisition device, could be as high as 660MB per frame.

3. I usually exported edited movie (shot only with cx 105) as AVCHD (same characteristics as original footage made with cx 105) in order not to lose quality of picture. To which format I should export movie made of combined *.mts and *.mov formats?

Export depends on the delivery mechanism. DVD, web, D5, HDCAM...

I'd export as an mp4, 1920 x 1080, 15Mbps.
You're going to have to tweak the gamma of one or the other in post, because the two cameras have wildly different color characteristics/color spaces. I would tweak the t2i vs the CX100 footage. Depending on the NLE you use, this can be done as a blanket process or on a clip by clip basis.

A container is just a "paper bag" from the grocery store. It can contain many formats. "Format" means a compression scheme and resolution package. AVI and .MOV are merely containers that might hold MPEG, AVCHD, DV, etc.

Thanx to all of you
Best regards

Canon T2i shoots around 44 megabits per second. Magic Lantern hack enables the camera to shoot up to 70+ megabits per second, but the video quality doesn’t seem to improve that much so I just leave that part alone.
What editing system are you using?
I am more familiar with Final Cut Pro and my rendering setting depend on the final product -- DVD, BlueRay, Vimeo/Youtube.
Why not simply jump the T2i for picture quality consistency? Just curious.

4DBill
http://www.dslrforvideo.com

DSE, thanx for the response!;)

1.understood
2.understood
3. my aim is to preserve the most quality footage format after exporting the final movie regardless to which format I plan to convert afterward (dvd, web, etc)
4. understood

what i did not know is that those two formats took with cx 105 / T2i are so different (bitrate, colors, etc..)

By "NLE" I suppose you mean non linear editing?

4dbill thanx for the response, too..

I think those 44Mb/s are quite enough, comparing to 16Mb/s took with cx 105.

I am using After Effects CS4 for effects, color corrections, etc.., and final rendering is performed with Vegas Pro 9

yes, the logical thing would be to jump with T2i....:)

not that it matters a LOT, but bitrate isn't everything.
AVCHD has some efficiencies that AVC doesn't have, and so AVC *needs* to shoot a higher bitrate to make up for some of those deficiencies.

It's really hard to make decisions based on mere numbers, but Bill's point is pretty valid.
Color corrections, you'll do better in Vegas than AE. other stuff, AE could be better. lotsa variables.

Why i'm not using only T2i for video is the lack of autofocus during recording..ok, during jumps focus on my cx 105 is set to manual, and T2i does not have any problem with that. However, when it comes to the recording on the ground with, lets say lots of zooming in/out where autofocus during recording would be of the importance, T2i is in the inferior position. ok, you can ENABLE AF during recording on T2i but it doesn't work well + the sound of focusing which is also recorded. OR, you can do all such focusing MANUAL which is for me pain in the ass, especially with thin focus ring on my 18-55 kit... This is the reason why now I have two sources of material which need to be combined into movie..

Thanx, DSE...Can you please recommend a web site or something else where can I learn more about format, codecs, HD, etc. I know that there was a great article on your web site called " Demystifying HD formats" or something like that. I tried to find it and read it more carefully this time, but i am required to register over and over (finally, some error ocurred saying that article cannot be loaded)