CHRCNF

Importing Video Files

Working with a Mac- what is the best way to import video from Sony CX series camera?

When using iMovie it imports it as a .mov file- is that suitable?

When friends give me video from their CX(s) it's usually a .MPG file which Apple doesn't seem to want to play without using VLC player, and even then, the quality is minimal.

I'm having a hard time understanding the management of video files with the intent of editing video.

After watching several of us move our video files to our PCs with zero hassle and in no time at all, my friend finally gave up using his MAC and bought a PC.

If you have the time to wait for the MAC to convert the files (to what ever they use) so you can edit, then start the process and go pack your rig. When your done you can go back and see if your files have loaded so you can edit them.

Good luck
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Every recent mac IS a pc. It's just a matter of installing windows on them. The beautiful part is you can have both with a mac... no hassle.

.mov is just the container that the video file is in. Depending on what program you are going to use... is how you would import the footage.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

I thought the whole point of a Mac is so you didn't have to have Windows. Am I wrong?

And I guess it sort of depends on what kind of product you're trying to produce.

All the dzs I've seen for work videos (tandems) have used PCs. I know of a couple people who have tried Macs but gave up and went to PCs. One of them even had Windows on his Mac and it still took too long (overall). Again, I'm talking about tandem videos.

This is just my observation based on my and a few other's experience.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I thought the whole point of a Mac is so you didn't have to have Windows. Am I wrong?

Yeah...the whole point of a Mac was to have a better computer. Now that they use intel processors capable of running windows, they are even better.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The whole point of mac is... it's simple. More time working, less time setting up and figuring out why shit isn't working. With a mac, you also have a choice.

And I guess it sort of depends on what kind of product you're trying to produce.

It ALWAYS depends on what kind of product you're trying to produce.

All the dzs I've seen for work videos (tandems) have used PCs. I know of a couple people who have tried Macs but gave up and went to PCs. One of them even had Windows on his Mac and it still took too long (overall). Again, I'm talking about tandem videos.

DZ's typically don't make tons of money and need cheap. You can get some pc's very cheap... no macs are cheap.
For tandems, macs probably aren't the best choice, at least right now. I use a mac for tandems, but there are many out there doing it on pc's much faster. However, I'd pit my final product up against ANYONE'S. To get the kind of speed they're getting on PC's, there's some skimping. It takes me a few more minutes for each tandem video, but I think the customer deserves it and at my little cessna dz, I have the time.

As far as a mac running as a PC taking too long... most macs are as fast or faster than comparable pc's.

What it comes down to for me is this... I can only afford "one" computer. I work at the DZ on the weekends. 5 days a week I'm NOT editing tandem videos and on those days I prefer to work in a mac environment. When I'm at the DZ, the simplicity of my mac caries over and instead of putting out tandem videos in < 10 min. I'm doing them in about 20 min. Yes it takes me twice as long from start to finish but the product I hand out is very polished and flashy. Much more so than anyone else's that I have seen.

If I wanted, I suppose I could do tandem vids in Vegas on my mac via boot camp but then I would have those added expenses of Sony software and windows. Plus I would have to learn all over to fine tune a work flow for those 6 minute videos... it wouldn't happen over night. For now I'm content with doing it the way I'm doing it. The way I already KNOW how to do it. Very rarely am I so busy that I can't hand my student their video 20 minutes after they jump.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer