velocityphoto

imovie and hc-1 issue

I have an intel imac with imovie 09. Imovie is not letting me load the video to the program. It lets me control the camera thru the firewire 9 to 4 pin. But when i play it it plays on the view finder window of the camera but nothing on the import window screen , just the tape counter runs but no picture? and Nothing gets imported

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I think one of the guys here used to have that camera. If I remember that there is some setting on the camera - convert hd or something like that.

Basically if I remember correctly, the camera would automatically convert it as that is what windows computers expected, but the macs expected hd not dv and so you had to turn the convert setting off - otherwise all you got was a blank screen...

I think it was like hd-dv conversion or something like that?
The setting he had to change was on the camera itself.

I don't know iMovie either, but I do have an A1U (pro version of the HC-1) and FCP. Yes you can convert HD footage to SD over the firewire. I believe it is called "i.LINK CONV" (Sony calls Firewire "i.LINK") or "Down Convert.". The display should be something like "HDV->DV." And at least on FCP, if you are set to import footage as HD and you are feeding it SD, it will read the time code but not the footage I believe. So worth trying to make sure your import settings match what is coming out of the camera and change one or the other to match.

The display of the camera should say when it is playing back either "HDV" or "DV"