mchamp

Sony 2011 camcorder Lineup

On a further note could this software allow us skydivers to practically use any HD camera and be able to "clean" up the footage therefore having smooth, steady, clear footage?

Seems like it really has potential

http://gizmodo.com/5818238/vreveal-uses-military+grade-image-stabilization-to-fix-your-shaky-home-movies

That is a *very* misleading (and probably sponsored/paid) article.
The technology used via the CUDA cards has been around since the early days of Dynapel (12 years+ ago). Military was using it then too, but for other applications. The UAV footage is stabilized via an *entirely* different method using the same algorithms, yet in real-time using dedicated hardware systems.

Back to your question...any of the stabilizers out there are pretty good, even the crappy one in iMovie. Picture is softer, and there are some SAR violations that occasionally occur, but overall...they're all pretty good at motion compensation, pixel/contrast tracking. And if you have the time...yes, these software tools can do a lot of good.

Overall, I don't see much progress in the last five years unless video quality has improved. It sounds like 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. Is that the general consensus?

I got back in after 5 years or so of being out, and have been amazed at the progress. My CX150 compared to the PC-9 and PC-5=
Half the weight
half the overall size (it's a horizontal layout camera that is as narrow as the vertical PC cameras)
half the price
double the image quality
double the reliability (no moving parts, motors, not as sensitive to humidity/moisture)

Sad that there wasn't any beneficial camcorders for the skydiving world this year, hopefully next year will be different!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Many thanks - if only Sony (UK) could have worked that one out I'd have saved many long hours! :D

Went for the cx-115 in the end as I managed to pick up one new for a decent price. Now only reqiure a box, Hypeye and wide angle lens! The Christmas list is being sent out early this year!!!!

Anybody know when Sony normally announces their new annual line-up? Seems to be in January, but if anybody can confirm, that would be great!

any rumors on whats coming for 2012?

Alex.

Yes.
January @ CES
If I share the rumors, I'd get in trouble. If I share the truth, I'd be fired. There is nothing huge, however.

Expect to see some announcements regarding phones and 3D, and maybe one or two CSC's, and not much more. Oh, and new displays with big resolutions. OLED is very sexy but well past my wallet's boundary.

If I share the rumors, I'd get in trouble. If I share the truth, I'd be fired. There is nothing huge, however.

C'mon man, we won't tell on ya! :D:D

Sucks being in that situation though!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Im in the same boat as alot of the posters are in as well. Im looking at the CX-130 and im curious if there are boxes and mounts available for this particular camera. As well is it a camera worth getting for shooting tandem/4 way with?
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.