mchamp

Sony 2011 camcorder Lineup

With all these new toys that were recently announced at CES which ones would be suitable/best for skydiving? I'm assuming the CX-160 is included as its similar to the previous CX-150. Any significant differences between these two besides the lens?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?cmsId=ces2011_digital_Imaging&catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1#/handyCamTabData

DSE any preferences/your opinion on these "updates"? ;)

Also what is your take on the HDR-TD10 Sony's consumer 3D camcorder? Sure it's a bit beefy for skydiving but perhaps worth it?

I'm thinking the release date of the majority of these would be around mid March as they were launched last year.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

here's the thing...
Even tho the cameras have been publically displayed, I'm under information embargo/NDA for a while still. I'm not permitted to comment on any products.:S
But the TD10 is something very indicative of where several of the manufacturers are heading.

Also what is your take on the HDR-TD10 Sony's consumer 3D camcorder? Sure it's a bit beefy for skydiving but perhaps worth it?

I love these comments from you guys that are new to the sport. lol

When I started, the Hi 8 camcorders were huge and camera flyers used to get neck injuries all the time.
I actually saw a photo of my dzo back in the day with a vcr strapped to his belly with a handful of cables running up to the camera mounted on his protec.

Take a look at the other thread about these cameras,
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4031500;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

It says in that thread they they have optical stabilization which is usually not ideal for Skydiving. Electronic stabilization is generally preferred because you can turn it off and it won't be affected by vibration.

i think i saw somewhere (but i might have made it up) that because this 3d camera uses two separate high def sensors it is essentially two cameras in one box, and that if you were shooting 2d video (in full high def), the other camera was free to do stills. if true, very cool, but the ois makes it kinda out of the question for jumping.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I suppose, but that's only a 3mp stills capeability, thats worse than my cx100 was!

Damn backwards progression!

Why would you care very much?
It's a *video* camera. Stills suck from it even if it's 20MP

I only mess with it for fun so I don't want to buy a stills camera i'd never use for anything else. Is there no difference between a 7mp and 3mp capability on them?

Same reason dont really want a GoPro, as I do use my video camera for other things.
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

the number of pixels is only relevant if you're feeding good information to the imager.
Video cameras are designed a little differently than even point n' shoots, and the glass/plastic is a lesser grade simply because it can be, and it's cheaper.
Sure, given a better bit of glass, more megapixels and/or greater resolution is better. The camera can never be better than its weakest part.

A CX-110 or CX-150... while you still can (I just did)!

Why would you choose a CX110 or cx150 when the cx160 is exactly the same price as the 150? Or is it solely due to the availability you base your choice upon?

at least currently on amazon it is

A CX-110 or CX-150... while you still can (I just did)!

Why would you choose a CX110 or cx150 when the cx160 is exactly the same price as the 150? Or is it solely due to the availability you base your choice upon?

at least currently on amazon it is

Image stabilization. Optical on the 160 (could be prone to shake) versus Electronic on the others which can be switched off.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

When you are allowed to could you please chime in on your opinion on the Sony CX-160 compared to the CX-150 for skydiving? Many thanks!

Oh and Thanks for the PIA 2011 vids DSE!:)

A brief summary of 2010 vs 2011 sony CX lineup.

So basically, we are back in a "Fucked" position where there are no cameras to buy once the market dries up. Fun.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

nicely done, thanks for the charts.

Derreck said it well...
The image stabilization is what is now one of the primary points setting consumer camcorders above/beyond GoPros, but that doesn't help Joe Skydiver.

I think i'd tend to lean towards the cx 160. HD at 60 fps sounds pretty nice :)
I'm wondering if i can fit it into my cx100 cookie aluminum cage?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Nice chart. Awesome work!

I sent one (CX160) to Arizona Arsenal to do some FreeFfly testing during their training this week. I requested them to pass it around the dropzone (headup, belly) so I can get a bunch of different footage in a short period of time. Unfortunately I'm still recovering from my shoulder injury so I can't personally jump it. :( I'll post the footage on our website once I get some samples. Let's see if they lock the lenses any better.

-Trunk

HYPOXIC