Skwrl

"Magic Lantern" firmware update for Canon Eos with Video

I just came across the following, which is "essentially an enhancement that works on top of Canon's firmware to provide new features to your video-capable Canon DSLR that you'd expect to see on a professional video camera."

http://lifehacker.com/5729101/transform-your-dslr-into-a-supercharged-professional-video-camera?skyline=true&s=i

I have not installed this and probably won't (I use my T2i for stills and a CX7 for video), but I thought some of you might find this interesting. There's a video that explains how it works.

If you do end up playing with it, let us know what you think...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I had heard of this but didn't really know what it did and was wary of messing with my camera's firmware. Now I'm tempted. It would be great to have zebra striping, and while my 60D does have manual audio levels, there is no on-screen audio meters while recording (as far as I know). Thanks for the link!

Magic Lantern has been around for a while and its what just about all the "Pro's" use on their 5D MarkII's to shoot DSLR video. With the HDMI output on the 5D it makes it a lot easier then trying to shoot off the view finder and its extremely useful info.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I installed it on mine. Audio enhancement of disabling auto gain is huge. Smaller ISO increment is nice for more accurate exposure. Qscale enhancement to increase bitrate that is supposed to increase the video quality is interesting, but I really didn't notice anything. Other enhancements such as histogram and audio bar are nice. In overall, it's an excellent enhancement since it also autoboots the whole thing when turning on the camera, unlike the previous version.
I was hoping that the hack would increase the video quality like Hacker named User13 did for Panasonic gh1, but I guess it's the limitation of Canon DSLR, skipping sensor lines when capturing video.

4DBill
http://www.dslrforvideo.com