TheCapt

Chin cup and cutaway necessary for GoPro?

I just got a GoPro and am mounting it to my Guner helmet. (Notwithstanding what the manufacturer says about the Guner's curved surfaces, the curved GoPro mounting tab seems to adhere nicely.)

Does anybody think it is absolutely neessary to get the Bonehead chin cup and cutaway to use with the GoPro which is side-mounted and high on the helmet?

Does anybody think it is absolutely neessary to get the Bonehead chin cup and cutaway to use with the GoPro which is side-mounted and high on the helmet?

Chincup, no.
Cutaway, yes. Why would you think anything else?

No camera is small enough to not be a snag hazard.

But am i reading right? Are you going to sidemount a GoPro?
Bye bye camera :P

Agreed with others, chin cup not necessary (it's not doing anything to stabilize your video, that's for sure), but the cutaway is a must.

I'm not sure how you have it mounted, but I'd suggest looking into materials that easily break under sufficient strain. (And even then, don't rely on them breaking when you want them to - I almost died because nylon bolts and nuts didn't sheer off when they should have.)

Also, talk to an experienced photog about how adding the camera to your helmet will change your EPs. (For example, it is a VERY bad idea to cut your main away if it is attached to your helmet and your helmet is still on your head - believe me, I did it and used up one of my 9 lives doing so.)

For those keeping score at home, that was one jump where both things went wrong, not two separate incidents.

Good luck.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I'm still trying to understand why newbie (mostly GoPro/Contour) camera flyers can't grasp two major issues;

~A cutaway is necessary (IMO) on any helmet that has a high potential for snags (ie; cameras)

~Tethering/tying the camera to the helmet is incredibly foolish and a sure sign of inexperience, ignorance, and lack of forethought.

To the OP, as every post has indicated, you need a cutaway. Contact Linda or Chris at BH and get one ordered, or search this forum for ideas on how to make your own.

That's why I wanted the chin cup - Bonehead makes the one that fits the Guner and it makes the cutaway that presumably works with it.

By the way . . . why "bye-bye GoPro if it's side mounted" is there really a big risk of that happening? Should I consider the top plate mount I see in the catalogues?

And further by the way, what does DSE mean by "teathering/tying?" I'm just using the mounts that came with it.

Why "bye-bye camera if it's side mounted," and what does DSE mean by "teathering/tying?" I'm using the GoPro mounts.

A riser slap can knock the camera off the side of the helmet.

For fear of losing a GoPro by having it get knocked off, some have used a tether to keep the camera from being lost once it is knocked off.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

A GoPro is an awful big (wide) camera to sidemount. Only a matter of time before you get a riser strike and you risk losing the camera.
To prevent a camera from dropping down in case of it hitting a riser or something else, some people think it's a smart idea to tie the camera with string or similar to the helmet, to prevent losing it. Hint: dumb and dangerous idea.

If you are set on a sidemount, the GoPro isn't the camera to do that. The countour works better for that due to it's shape. Topmounting the GoPro (or other camera) is best.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

There is no way to solidly mount the GoPro as a side mount, unless someone has come up with something. It's a relatively wide body. Riser strikes do happen, and often at low experience levels. There is a reason you see the majority of side mount systems having some sort of protection for the camera.

There are some people that have tied their camera to their helmet using spectra or other sort of "tether" so that if it does get knocked off, it doesn't go flying away. It's a very risky thing to do, and could easily make a less than ideal situation turn into a much worse scenario.

All the above have stated very good answers to the questions you asked.
If you don't mind I'll add my personal philosophy to what they said.

"yea! what they said.:D"

Thanks. I hope I was able to help you in your mounting endeavor.

(The Capt. I'm not trying to poke fun at ya. Just had nothing more to actually add and I was bored.)

My photos

My Videos

I really couldn't say. I used it for cleaning glue and stuff from my hands all the time working on roofing years ago. It evaporates really fast and dried my skin out.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

just think about how a riser can slap a dytter off a helmet. Do you really think that the same riser will be considerate enought to avoid a Go-Pro ? :o

good idea to keep it as a reminder:P but don't forget to snag-proof it :)
and yes, helmet cutaways are good for you. Not having one, and not having nylon screws cost me a Cypres save, short of costing me a life.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Even if i think its a good idea to keep the reminder, your "reminder" might damage your risers in the long run.
If you keep geting riserslaps on the reminder, the sharper corners (compared to the helmet) of the reminder might fray the risers.
It will probably take hundreds of jumps, but still very unnecessary.

I didn't know Cookie makes GoPro mounts for thecurved top of helmets

Nice. Here's a fun thought - what if you used nylon screws to hold the mount on, the same type used on a ringsite, the same type designed to shear off in the case of an entanglement?

Look at it this way, if you cutaway the helmet, you lose the $400+ helmet (helmet + chin cup + cutaway) and the $250 camera. If the camera mount shears off, you only lose the camera.

I'm only kidding (sort of) but that fact that the cost of the cameras is so low, even less then the helmet itself, you can see where it's an idea. A concentric ring site actually costs more than a HoPro (I think), and they mount those so they disappear in an entanglement, so why not the HoPro?

Of course, you would still want the chin cup and cutaway, so you would need to buy those anyway. There's also the chance that the helmet and camera will still be entangled with your main when you find it, so you would have lost nothing, and the idea that the prominently protrouding HoPro is more likely to be bumped and shear off accidentally then a low profile ring site, but it's still fun to wonder...

gaffers tape. I was jumping at one boogie and a guy was seated behind me and after we got down he was like " man from behind i thought your helmet was made of gaff tape' ;) I really should run both of my cam eyes inside the helmet one of these days.;)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .