nzdan

DSLR intro cam

Hi all, i'm looking for a decent entry level DSLR camera for a gift. Budget is around $1000 and would like to get something fairly easy to use. Not looking for a skydive cam just something simple with a decent zoom.
Any advise or recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance,

nzdan
Children in the dark cause accidents, accidents in the dark cause children.

I might be biased because i've been using Canon for the last 7 years.. But none the less i love the Canon system..

With a budget of 1k maybe this would be something for you?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680673-REG/Canon_4462B005_Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i.html

18MP sensor and full HD video!

I am extremely happy with all my Canon equipment!

Thanks for the recommendations. They both look to me although I know nothing about SLR's, what is the advantage or disadvantage of optical vs digital image stabilization.

Thanks
nzdan
Children in the dark cause accidents, accidents in the dark cause children.

There is no digital image stabilization on DSLR cameras... that's only found on video cameras. Canon (and nikon i think) cameras don't have built-in stabilization... it's a feature on some lenses. Sony makes DSLRs with stabilization on the sensor itself, so it works with any lens. But in-lens stabilization has advantages. In my opinion, stabilization is only really needed in longer lenses used without a tripod. It works GREAT on telephoto lenses... very effective.

Dave

I hardly ever use the image stabilizer.. At higher shutter speeds its not really needed.. But for low light low shutter speed shots (like mentioned especially on telephotos) Its a life saver.. I've made alot of shots with my 500mm that were only made possible by the stabilizer!

IMO, Canon offers a better range of lenses, and i think learning the canon system and navigating in the menus are easier on Canon..

But its up to personal preference i guess!

I find it much easier to keep the subject still in the frame with image stabilization. Very hard to keep a jump plane 14000 feet above sitting still in the viewfinder at 300mm without it. I also shoot helicopters at low shutter speeds... definitely couldn't do as well without IS.

Dave

I find it much easier to keep the subject still in the frame with image stabilization. Very hard to keep a jump plane 14000 feet above sitting still in the viewfinder at 300mm without it. I also shoot helicopters at low shutter speeds... definitely couldn't do as well without IS.

Dave

How much of the frame does a jump place fill at full zoom on a 300mm lens?
My gf wants a pair of binoculars to watch us jump - maybe a DSLR would be a better investment????

All depends how steady your hands are. I wouldn't buy a camera and telephoto lens just for watching. But it'll take better pictures than a pair of binoculars.

Dave

well that is what I figured - she would have more fun taking pics than just watching.
I can give her a tripod to use as well.
but how much of the frame does the jump plane fill with a 300mm lens?
She doesn't want to jump - but I don't want her getting bored at the DZ.

It's basically a dot. I mean, you can make out the plane, you can see people exiting, but it's not very big.

The attached shot is cropped pretty tight. That's taken with a Canon 70-300 IS. Don't have easy access to an uncropped one at the moment.

Dave

It's basically a dot. I mean, you can make out the plane, you can see people exiting, but it's not very big.

The attached shot is cropped pretty tight. That's taken with a Canon 70-300 IS. Don't have easy access to an uncropped one at the moment.

Dave

She will enjoy taking pics like that!
Thanks

Good point! Just finding the plane is a bit of a hassle...

Here's a couple of shots i made this summer.. One is of a C130J dropping about 60.. (there should have been 60 coming out of the other one too but communications messed up)

The other one is a group of trackers in freefall!

If you want shots like that, remember that the lens is (way) more important than the camera. Any nikon or canon DSLR will do, just get a good lens. For nikon, for this purpose and budget, that would be the 70-300 AF-S VR lens.
Regardless of brand, don't get any of the cheap 70-300 (or similar) lenses, those will disappoint you.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If you want shots like that, remember that the lens is (way) more important than the camera. Any nikon or canon DSLR will do, just get a good lens. For nikon, for this purpose and budget, that would be the 70-300 AF-S VR lens.
Regardless of brand, don't get any of the cheap 70-300 (or similar) lenses, those will disappoint you.

This is what I was thinking for her.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680711-REG/Canon_EOS_7D_SLR_Digital.html

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

That would be one of the cheap (and IMO fairly useless) lenses yeah...

looking into swapping it for the AF-S VR

I wouldn't, unless you also change the camera body to a Nikon ;)

I'm not exactly sure what the lens to get for Canon is (within budget), the Canon EF 70-300mm 4.0-5.6 IS USM is the cheapest lens I would consider, it should come close to the Nikon 70-300 VR AF-S (with Nikon's AF-S = Canon's USM, and Nikon's VR = Canon's IS). But I'm sure some Canon users here will chime in on that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This is what I was thinking for her.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680711-REG/Canon_EOS_7D_SLR_Digital.html

LOL yeah, that would make a nice gift, slightly over budget though :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

thanks for the tips, I ordered a canon T2i with standard lens and an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

That'll work great. The 70-300 IS (the $500-something one, not the $1600 one) is a little bit nicer, but I bet she'll be happy with the 75-300. Hopefully you also got the 18-55 that sometimes comes with the T2i? The 75-300 is fine for taking pictures of landings, but won't do much good indoors at birthday parties or whatever. If not, a decent wider zoom lens can be next year's birthday present. :)
Dave