FreeflyIndian

Netbooks for editing and viewing GoPro footage

Barely.
If you're going to push color, do transisitons, etc...it'll do lightweight editing, but barely. I sure wouldn't put it into a fast turnaround mix.
I have the latest Apple and the lastest fromHP (intel Atom 1.66) and it's nothing to write home about for AVCHD or AVC.

I use my Dell netbook for showing video at the DZ, but it's a pretty weak machine. If I shoot in HD on my CX100 then the playback is ridiculously choppy on VLC. Normally I shoot in SD and with that the playback is fine.

It can barely handle playback of video from my GoPro.

I just use the netbook for playback, I do all editing at home on my Mac. The netbook is super-portable and I can dump videos over to it and then people can watch their skydives at their leisure. My netbook is a few years old and I'm sure the more modern ones are better, but I imagine they still don't have very much horsepower.
I got nuthin

I'm not a fan of the 'netbook' editing experience, even though it was suppose to be just used on short trips.

I bought a netbook basically for the task, as I didn't feel like carting my larger dell mainstream laptop around.

My Hp mini 5102 (Intel N450 1.66Ghz processor) does not in my opinion have the power for HD go pro footage.

It does better running Sony vegas, and processing short clips of Cx100 AVHD footage but again, it is lack luster... I was not happy with it on trips when I wanted to review or edit up a short clip to share. It was adequate at best in my opinion.

My New 'netbook' (macbook air 11.6) does a much better job. However, for the price and specs, you could get a much much better laptop... however, 2.3 lbs makes a difference to me carting the gear around. And it looks cool. That's important right?

If portability is a concern, the Acer Aspire TimelineX laptops come in 11.6 inch varieties with up to a mobile core i7 processor.... However, for the core i3 one, you are paying twice for what you'd pay for a regular netbook... but still cheaper then a macbook air and weighing in at 3.1 lbs. And most netbooks are limited to 2 gigs of ram max...

_justin

Thanks

My concern is more weight and volume of the device and not so much speed. If the netbook can do it, although a bit slowly, then that will do.

Why weight/volume of the device is important? My needs is actually for a bicycle tour I'm doing next year - 8 months of cycling.

I know this is a skydiving forum but think this would also be relevant to any travelling jumper.

That said, any advice on the specs of netbook I should be looking for

Or if you disagree with the use of a netbook completely, any suggestions on another device that will do the job (light editing for post videos to youtube, not professional hard core editing) and that is lightweight

Many thanks!!!! :)
Ria

As long as you know it's going to be constantly painful, there is nothing wrong with a netbook.
Shoot in 720p and your conversion time for YT will be reasonably fast because you won't be trans-sizing and transcoding.

Make sure you get a netbook with a full operating system. Sometimes they offer a Windows 7 starter edition with netbooks, don't get it. Starter Editions provide the majority of all functions but you can run across problems with installing/running programs and other odd little quirks that the starter edition limits.