DSE

Using copyrighted music

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/uploads/a4/6b/a46b6a0592feafbf4a97e11248d6867a/3804.pdf

Passed the Senate Judiciary. Now it goes before the Senate, and will more than likely pass.

What it means in part is that if you are using copyrighted content, your website can be siezed, shut down by the DOJ.

This bill may impact you; contact your legislator if you feel it's not what you want. Bear in mind it's a minor amendment to existing laws and a new point of enforcement for existing law.

Interesting, this legislation seems specific to the united states. The internet has no boarders.

How will this effect foreign websites?

Fortunately we have royalty free music built into our editing system (rxt), though there are some companies that offer 'choose your own music', which I think is a silly idea, especially when they advertise the fact on thier websites..

With this legislation can foreign websites be effected, such as being blocked in the US or removed if the host is in the US?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

There isn't really internet blocking in the united states. Typically the way it works is that the law is based on where the corporation exists and/or where the server is.

If your company is in the US they can sanction you, if the server is in the US they can seize it. If both exist outside the country then it depends on the level of cooperation between the DOJ and the host country.

This wont really change things that much imo.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

From my brief read, it looks to be aimed at things like bit torrent sites and stuff like that...not things like YouTube that has people posting infringing stuff all the time.

As far as the US/non-US thing, from what I am understanding from this, I think they can go to the domain name registrar and take your domain name away, so even if your servers and business are abroad, your URL won't work.

From my brief read, it looks to be aimed at things like bit torrent sites and stuff like that...not things like YouTube that has people posting infringing stuff all the time.

As far as the US/non-US thing, from what I am understanding from this, I think they can go to the domain name registrar and take your domain name away, so even if your servers and business are abroad, your URL won't work.

Actually, most of the vids on YouTube don't infringe because YouTube has distribution/use agreements with the publishers of a huge bulk of the music used.
it is aimed at torrent sites, but also heavily weighted to music and video.

Actually, most of the vids on YouTube don't infringe because YouTube has distribution/use agreements with the publishers of a huge bulk of the music used.

yes, I have noticed the musc labels are taking advantage of their music being used by people in videos posted on youtube, often a link to purchase the track is automatically applied to the page.

So in a way it is free advertising.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I find most times (on YouTube anyway) the audio is disabled pretty quick if it's copyrighted music and used without a license. I believe the have an algorithmic bot that scours the vids looking for illegally used music.

But, in the case of first time jumpers anyway I don't think they usually add the music themselves, they are just uploading the video they purchased at the DZ. LOL, the sport of skydiving, as a whole, must owe Tom Petty a Bizillion dollars by now . . .

There is royalty free music on the web if you look hard enough for it.

Here's one site I use:

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?genre=Modern

NickD :)