danweits

buying vortex II

Based on recent personal experience I would suggest that you avoid doing business with Chute Shop (makers of the Vortex). Their customer support is nonexistent. There are lots of reputable container manufacturers out there that will serve you better than those mutts. I jump an Infinity. The container is well designed, well made, freefly friendly, fairly priced and their customer service is fantastic. You won't find better folks to do business with than Velocity Sports Equipment, makers of the Infinity. (No I'm not sponsered by them)
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I'd have to agree with the above (and I have a Vortex II). Container is great but customer service sucks. Not to mention that I believe the prices are now comparable with US rigs so I'd go to one of those manufacturers for better service.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Whilest I do not want to bash manufactures down, I am afraid I have to agree with the opinions posted in this post.

I am also In the market to buy myself a rig, and becuase I live in South Africa an obvious choice was vortex II.
I contacted chuteshop and asked them how the process would work as to ordering a rig, payment etc.
I also very nicely told them that I expected excellent service ( as my friend had waited for over 18 weeks for his rig ) which I was not prepaired to do.
I offerred to pay 2/3rds of the price as well in order to speed up service.
I was then told that I would be sent a fax with measurements etc ... ( which I only recieved 2 days later).
The fax was unhelpful to say the least ( did not give a new skydiver the info i needed and did not have any indication as to prices of having pinstripes, colours or hip rings)
I then spoke to the one of the staff again, expained why I was not happy , and got certain issues cleared up.
I asked for the bank acc details to pay the deposit ( which was not on the fax) and am still waiting to hear from them.

This is very unfortunate, as I am currently jumping with a friends vortex II rig, it is extremely comfortable, looks neat and is well made.

I Have decided to purchase a teardrop instead.

Hopefully Chuteshop will get their act together, as they loosing business ( If my actions are anything to go by)
Which is sad, because as mentioned above the rigs are good quality, well priced, specifically if you jump here.

Hey guys and gals

I'm a South African skydiver who's just come into the market for gear and even though i'm looking at buying it second hand that's certainly not what i wanted to hear about Chuteshop!

After speaking to other jumpers on our DZ the Vortex II was a container that a lot of people seemed happy with, can you guys recommend some other makes of containers to look at? (Freefly safe of course).

Thanks

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hi guys,

I have to admit, sometimes the period you have to wait for new equipment can get a bit long. It’s like when you are 8-years old and it's the 22 of December. It's just not "Toy-time" yet.

I've just ordered my FOURTH Vortex11 rig.

Relax a bit and take some advice:

1) You will have to wait a bit, these guys are busy with some 50 odd rigs before yours will fall in line.

2) Don't even try and tell me you can get the same quality rig at the same price ANYWHERE else because.....wait for it........YOU CANT!

3) If you are in South Africa, I wont have to tell you this, YOU CAN NOT BUY A TEARDROP because.....wait for it again.......PISA DOESNT EXIST ANYMORE!!!! The only Teardrop you are buying is a secondhand one or the one on you’re pillow when you realize you could have ordered VortexII 2 weeks ago.

4) Speak to Pierce himself. Pierce will tell you when you can have you’re rig, because he manages the manufacturing side of it. He will tell you how far down the line it is etc.

5) Don’t be an idiot, the only way to get anything done is to stay on top of it. Ask questions like: When will you start? When will it be complete? How busy are you? Do you need to order any material for my specific design? etc, etc, etc. If you don't ask you won't know.

ChuteShop is the only manufacturer who still manufactures decent equipment at semi-affordable prices. I'm not slanting Aerodyne here, I just cannot afford their products.

Oh yes, there is more than one agent for ChuteShop, Shop around.........
And all I wanna do is fly.....

Ello there!

My only eperience with the Vortex 2 is 'second hand'. A friend had to wait one hell of a long time for a replacement top after a cut away. Basically their customer service is considered pretty bad. On the other hand they're a nice rig thats going to be really cheap if you buy it IN (not 'from') SA.

You can buy a TearDrop (TSE in the UK make them) and Pisa did (i think they were copies under license - so you might as well buy the original now!). I've got a TearDrop SF that I cant fault in any way. And it was delivered in 3.5 weeks!

From the UK/Europe, a Vortex2 with a SA main is about the same price as a Teardrop with a Sabre2 - take your pick!!! If you're in SA i hear Vortex2's are (obviously) really good value out there.

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

i'm with Martin on this one.

I've ordered two rigs from Chute Shop so and I've never been given a reason to think that I'd go anywhere else!

My latest rig was a complete system and I waited no more than 7 weeks from date of ordering to receiving it - not too bad if you ask me (even though 7 weeks can feel like forever when you're waiting for a new toy).

Not only that, but Pierce threw in my reserve repack (on my old rig) and Cypress transfer for free.

On top of it all, I received a phone call on the first weekend I jumped to find out how everything was and I don't expect that that kind of service will be too common with some of Chute Shop's bigger competitors!

And as for the price... there is absolutely no way I would ever have been able to find a system for this cheap in a competitive product - not even if I bought second hand!

So all in all, this is one very satisfied Chute Shop customer. I've never had any poor experiences with anyone there...

My next rig will be from Chute shop as well.

Oh, and one more thing - if you've never jumped a hurricane before, do yourself a favour and demo one...

I've bought containers and canopies from Chute Shop for many years. I currently have a Vortex 2 for my CRW parachute and a Vortex for my RW parachute. They are both of excellent quality, comfort and durability. Chris and Mari Dales have a relatively small operation and perhaps sometimes slip up on some customer issues. This is more than made up for in the innovation evident in all their designs as well as the qualities I've mentioned above. I would certainly recommend the purchase. I suggest you order the rig through Icarus, an excellent local dealership, and let Manny chase up Chute Shop's production on your behalf. Details on www.icarus.co.za.
Cheers
Andre le Roux

I have very little faith in a company that can't ship me a reserve handle after 3 calls and 3 promises (eventually I got Sunpath to make me one and guess what....I received it within a week and I only had to make one call to place the order).

My complaints have nothing to do with waiting periods, but more with follow up service. I got everything just fine, but heaven forbid I should need something else from them after they've got the bulk of my cash.

If you think you should have to "follow up" with a manufacturer then you've never experienced good customer service, or at least not what I have come to expect (and received) from other manufacturers. BTW while they are not gear manufacturers L&B should be everyones benchmark (They are nothing short of spectacular), sunpath were awesome with my wifes rig and PD were awesome with my Velocity and her Sabre2.

Chute shop cannot hide behind "We're too small/busy" to take care of their existing customers.

I will not be replacing my Vortex II with another of their products as there are plenty of other manufacturers out there who do care about customer service.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey all,
thank you for the information, first of all their web site is up, www.vortexii.com or http://www.parachutesystemsusa.com. I just ordered a vortex 2 directly from the owners and manufactures Chris and Mari, I don't know what about you guys but I care less if it takes 5,6,7,8,9 weeks for the toy to arrive, I care more about the quality and the product I get. its true that bad customer service in the sport we are doing is not a good sign but I'm sure that when sun path was a smaller company they didn't deliver all orders to all customers right on time. I was very pleased with the way Mari and Chris handled my order and I'm sure I'll be pleased with the results.
I think you all need to remember that the important thing here is what you get and not how long does it take to arrive or how fast you get a replacement part.

Blue skies,
Dan.

Well!

Nice to see things from both sides of the fence! Chute Shop has many loyal customers in SA and abroad, and I have no doubt that if they've survived the last 20 years, that they'll probably manage the next 20 too.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

A friend and I both bought Vortex IIs from Chute Shop when we were in South Africa about 7months ago and we both encountered several problems.

My friend ordered his in December and was told it would take 8weeks to complete so he went off travelling for 3months expecting his rig to be ready to pick up when he finished. I ordered mine in mid January through the same rep (not going to mention names) and paid in full also so our rigs should have both been ready at the same time. We phoned Chute Shop only to discover that they had not only not recieved the order, but the our money also, which they request before making a start on the rigs. We contacted the rep again who then contacted Piers to tell them this and was told that the orders had been faxed etc and that there was confusion and the rigs would be ready in a week as the were being made.

We contacted Chute Shop again to enquire about the progress only to be told that they had spoken to the rep but still hadnt started on the rigs and they were having meetings about whether or not to charge us the new U.S prices even though we were quoted the Sth African prices and placed the order way before they was thinking about upping the prices. After a rather shitty phone call to them to try and finally discover what was going on and who was at fault, a woman who worked there threatened to not give us our rigs and said she would sell them abroad..to which we quickly apologised in desperation for our rigs.
I had originally ordered a 150/150 container but due to the balls up I ended up with a 170/170 and my friends rig and mine were different colours to what we had ordered because they had to modify the only 2 containers that they had on the shelves. After all this they ended up being more expensive than we were originally quoted and to rub it in even further when we were leaving the country and went to the tax refund desk we were told that Chute Shop's VAT number was incorrect as all VAT numbers start with a 4 and ours started with a 9 so we were £200 down each because of that. Since returning to the UK I have made numerous phone calls to them and sent numerous emails trying to get their correct tax number but they have failed to produce it which has raised several questions in my mind. I will be contacting the Sth African Revenue office regarding this.

But, at the end of the day, I have a fantastic rig and I still feel it is the best rig I have seen. Although my canopy was supposed to be red but is green, pink and purple!!

I am not saying who is more to blame, the rep or Chute Shop but I would encourage anyone who is ordering from Chute Shop to follow up the progress of their orders regularly. Hopefully now new people are involved in the business things will improve. I want to be mad with them but I am far to happy with my rig at the end of the day.

If you like the Vortex II, order one, it's definatley worth the wait and the crap customer service.

Vortex II Blue Skies.

Dave

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

[Memo to self: don't type a great long reply and then accidentally hit the Esc key - all the text vanishes without warning]

Summary of what I typed (before it vanished):

What a nightmare for you. I bought a rig recently and considered a Vortex II but was dissuaded by some adverse comments from the BPA riggers' committee.

I bought a Teardrop SF; TSE were very helpful about the design, delivered when promised and have subsequently answered all my ignorant questions about the rig and canopy (Sabre2 170, bought at the same time). I'm very happy with the quality, fit and standard of construction.

I know that's not what the original poster was asking, but hey...

John

Yeah I heard several things about the Vortex II were raised riggers' committee but I also heard that the problems they have had in the past have now been ironed out. Many people inlcuding riggers have said that my rig and my friends are the best Vortex IIs that they have seen quality wise, which is always good to hear.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......