aeronut

Contour GPS?

The GPS might also be cool to use on occasional canopy flights, but I'd prefer it over the 1080p for other reasons.

As I mentioned in another thread the GPS version is said to have a much better microphone than the previous versions. It also has a still picture mode like the gopro and supports PAL(which I guess would be pretty useless for you). I dont find it worth the upgrade but if I was to buy one now, it would definitely be the GPS.

I would likely turn off the GPS function though for 99% of the jumps.

I just received one as a surprise Christmas gift. I wingsuit almost exclusively (occasional tandem for cheap friends excepted), so I think the GPS aspect of it may actually be usefu, iif only for the "did I break my record for greatest distance landing off the DZ" game I sometimes play.

I already have a "real" HD video camera for my helmet, so I figure I'll probably use this one for wacky angles (foot mount, chest mount, etc.).

I'm not jumping for another few weeks, but I'll report back once it's been properly played with.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

i see where the gps model will have (maybe already has) bluetooth. this will be used in an upcoming iOS/Android app to use the phone as a live viewfinder and to change camera settings. if it would also allow playback on iOS/Android stuff, that would be cool. instant playback on a tablet? B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Saw this in another thread and thought it belonged here as well.

Re: [trig78] GOBANDIT GPS HD - NEW [In reply to]
I have been trying the ContourGPS....without much luck in Wingsuiting, it never gets a good fix and then it turns out it isn't that interesting to watch either! It does have a much better rear door and still mode that the 1080P.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

still mode will take 1 picture every 3, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds

i have them both the hd1080 and the gps version though i haven't been able to get out with the gps yet they did just provide a firmware upgrade which allows you to change the gps rate from 1hz up to 4hz

i got it because im tired of videoing other people all the time lol and my friends original no hd gopro sucks so im going to let him "borrow" the hd1080p and the gps feature seemed cool if it works well enough

i will say i had alot of problems with there software and the gps locks you into there software because thats the only way to get useable gps data ... which annoyed me ... so i found someone that made a program to export the data to a txt file and i wrote a program to write the txt file in to a subtitle file with all the calculations i want

short clip of the results ( inside my car though)
shows altitude (msl though with the newest revision it switches to agl) vertical speed horizontal speed and glide ratio (wingsuit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O2mu-W-ZNc&hd=1

this was at 1hz and i had the cruise control on for most of it (testing the recording more then the gps at the time)

It seems somethings wrong with your data, or the conversion you made to get it as a overlay.

Looking at the video when you start driving uphill at ~2:00 you see that every other vertical velocity is negative while you are still gaining altitude.
My guess is that you by misstake are subtracting wrong way around at every other entry.

But regarding the GPS and their software, so there is no gpx, kml, csv-files you can just copy of the cameras memory card? You have to use easy edit to get access to the GPSdata.

It seems somethings wrong with your data, or the conversion you made to get it as a overlay.

Looking at the video when you start driving uphill at ~2:00 you see that every other vertical velocity is negative while you are still gaining altitude.
My guess is that you by misstake are subtracting wrong way around at every other entry.

But regarding the GPS and their software, so there is no gpx, kml, csv-files you can just copy of the cameras memory card? You have to use easy edit to get access to the GPSdata.

i actually did that on purpose i didn't want the negative value on there in freefall lol. i changed it to an absolute number in a later version so as to not have negative numbers anywhere but good catch.

the gps data is actually embedded inside the .mov file, so when you look in the folder on the camera all you see is file1.mov, file2.mov etc. their storyteller software allows you to either upload the video to their webpage which then shows the gps data via google maps beside the video or i believe in the newest version rip the gps data out, but for the life of me i can't get the software to run on either of my computers (vista-32 laptop win7-64 desk) . so i wrote a program to do it for me .

fyi easy edit is being dropped story teller is the newest program they have

all that being said i still absolutely love the cameras

Anyone has tried it skydiving on 4hz or with "assistnow" ???

the assistnow just helps it on a cold startup... that being said i did have the 3 day data on the camera

but i did try it on 4hz while skydiving and it didn't work too well as a gps altitude wasn't even close to being correct(600 ft) and it only changed +- 10 ft .

i don't know if there was some other issue, it was really cold i would like to try it again with the wingsuit and see how it likes that.

Just got one of these neat little things! I was wondering how you guys have been mounting them? and if you reccomend any helmets over the other (new to the sport) I don't want anything too fancy but something reliable and comfortable that also looks good with a Contour Hd Gps on it! Thanks

You might want to look over the USPA SIM if you are in the US about the part for 200 jumps to jump a camera :)

You might want to read the "stickies" at the top of the forum, especially the one that says "READ ME FIRST".
It has the same advice as the SIM, but explains a lot more of the reasoning behind the recommendations. (This is directed at the OP, not Phree)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Just got one of these neat little things! I was wondering how you guys have been mounting them? and if you reccomend any helmets over the other (new to the sport) I don't want anything too fancy but something reliable and comfortable that also looks good with a Contour Hd Gps on it! Thanks

I'm also fairly new to the sport, but I was looking for a helmet that I could use for the time being, until I have the 200+ jumps before I start using the CountourGPS. Does anyone have a good recommendation... I was looking at the MXV by cookie composite, which helmet is your favorite?

Wellll look at that. Learn something new everyday. I just used the search for contour and found this. My bad. Hmm guess i'll strap it to my bicycle handle bars for the time being haha

Not sure what the USPA jump limit is for cycling out the back of a plane..... I guess it's O.K so long as you don't have the camera:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome