Titanium_Gecko

Turning a Gath into a Top Mount

I have made a small top platform for my Gath from a piece of a plastic plate and some fibre glass filler. Very simple and took only about an hour. I could post pics in a couple of days.

There's no adaptor for this helmet that I know of, but perhaps boneheads or some other companys could fit with some modification.

/Jonathan

If you have a little bit of time and patience you may try to make a base for yourself. Just get epoxy resin and release wax (you can actually use any wax or even shoe polish). You may follow the steps 29 – 34 of my helmet to create a pattern. You don’t have to proceed to the step of creating a master mould. Just trim the pattern with a handsaw and sand paper and bolt or glue it in place. Make sure the helmet is positioned in a 0º angle on a table while the resin cures (step 31). This will create a flat top in the correct angle for camera mount.
Buying one may cost almost the same but making one is much fun. The good thing is that you can make the exactly size and shape you want.
NOTE: test the wax/ resin first in other part to make sure it releases once cured.
Let me know if you have doubts and I’ll try to help
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3286816#3286816
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

There's this -

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/504--universal-top-mount.html

- there's always just looking at that, and cuttng one out of some aluminum sheet. The great thing about the CX105 is the size and light weight. That's what allows you to mount it on a flimsy helmet like the Gath. It also means you don't need a heavy duty mounting plate, so making one should be easy.

Have you considered drilling a 1/4 hole in the top of the helmet, and installing a bolt with a big washer and just threaded it into the tripod mount hole in the camera? You really don't need a plate at all. Just bolt it up, and if you need to shim the front or back for the correct angle, just find something to jam in there.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the different ideas. Nice job, Ronaldo!

I work away from home all the time so don't have access to many tools or work spaces so trying to find an off-the-shelf idea. Playing with cardboard to create an equivalent bonehead plate might be an idea, for someone else to make..lol.

Mike, I hadn't realised cookie did a range of adaptors for the flatlock so thanks for that. Any suggestion on which might fit would be a huge help, if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Mike, I hadn't realised cookie did a range of adaptors for the flatlock so thanks for that. Any suggestion on which might fit would be a huge help, if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Ross

The Flatlock Adaptor for the Gas fit the best on a Large Gath Sport Hat.

See more info here:

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/liquid-flatlock-top-mount-helmet-adaptor.html

Mike
ChutingStar.com