jtnesbitt

Recovering video from wet CX100

Long story short my cx100 came off my head and took a plunge into the New River this weekend. It was recovered before it sank and i now have it back. If i can get the camera working again...awesome. However my main goal is to just retrieve the video from that day. I was recording to the hard drive. I pulled off the battery, pulled off the lens, opened up every slot and set it in front of the hair dryer for two hours. (Dont freak out, it was 3 feet away, the air was not blowing directly on it, and it was on the low no heat setting with me checking every 5 min to make sure the air wasnt getting warm.)

I have received several suggestions for drying it out, but my main goal is just retrieving the video. Any thoughts?
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Sit it in a bag of desiccant for a few days. That should dry it out. Give it a shot then. It doesn't have a hard drive, it uses memory chips.

If that doesn't work, you could prolly send it to sony to have them see if they could recover the data? Dunno about that.

The only other thing to try is if it doesn't turn on, you might need to wash it in distilled water, good soak with no batteries in it (dunno if it has an internal battery which could make that problematic) and then dry it out for a week in desiccant.

Those are the things that come to my mind.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just like FAST said but if you have it recording to a memory stick, just take that out, ensure its dry and plug it directly into a card reader to get your footage.

Last time my camera took a plunge I took the external plastic case off and dried it with compressed air. Any particulate residue I got rid of with a cotton swab and 90% isopropanol alcohol. Worked great. I don't know how I feel about dropping the whole camera in distilled water since it does have a LCD, lenses, imager, and speakers that typically don't go through a washing process during manufacturing.

The only crappy thing was the camera did not catch the actual impact with the water. Looks like it buffers up footage then writes it to the card every x ms. All this means is you may get the footage of the camera falling to the new river, but you may not get it actually hitting the new river.
HYPOXIC

I dont care if it gets the impact, it's the 6.5-7 seconds of freefall before it got ripped off my head that I am really wanting :P
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

No, camera went splash about 2 seconds before the tree. I really just wanna see the part where i rolled over at 6.5 seconds, saw the river, and shit my pants.

Nice. You must have also been standing near my mentor Jim who got the vid on his cell phone. The video quality sucks but the audio commentary is priceless.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=560868777598

Yeah some woman "working" started screaming at my gf to leave the area right after I hit the tree. She had no idea if i was hurt or not. I dont know what her problem was. She also yelled at us for skipping the line in front of group 4 even though we were group 3. Oh well. Hey, since you were there, who was it that was telling everyone i was cutting my lines? I had actually pulled my cutaway handle and had half the canopy out of the tree before the rescue team even showed up. The guys in the boat were freaking out telling me to quit moving until they got a rope on me. :P