passaroc

Which Lens to use to Tandem Photos:Sigma10:20mmOR15mm?

FWIW, the Canon 10-22mm is almost as light as the Sigma 15mm, and the Canon 15mm (which I personally use for tandem work) is lighter and smaller than any of these. A couple of nice things about either of these zooms though is the ability to use a front filter, and the absence of extreme fish-eye effect.

I worked this chart up a couple of years ago. It may be helpful:

Brand Focal Length Weight (oz.) Weight (lb) Weight (grams) Length Diameter Filter Diam. Notes
Canon 15mm 11.7oz. 0.73lb. 347g 2.4" 2.4" none Fish-eye
Canon 10-22mm 13.6oz. 0.85lb. 385g 3.5" 3.3" 77mm Zoom
Canon 17-85mm 16.1oz. 1.00lb 475g 3.6" 3.1" 67mm Zoom
Canon 18-55mm 6.7oz. 0.42lb. 190g 2.6" 2.7" 58mm Zoom
Sigma 15mm 13.0oz. .81lb. 370g 2.5" 2.9" none Fish-eye
Sigma 24-70mm 25.6oz. 1.6lb. 715g 4.5" 3.5" 77mm Zoom
Sigma 14mm 23.04oz. 1.44lb. 3.3" 3.2" none Ayspherical
Sigma 10-20mm 16.6oz. 1.038lb. 470g 3.2" 3.3" 77mm Ayspherical
Sigma 17-40mm 14.1oz. 0.88lb. 3.3" 3.5" 82mm Ayspherical
Tamron 11-18mm 13.2oz. 0.83lb. 375g 3.1" 3.3" 77mm Zoom
Tokina 17mm 15.4oz. 0.96lb. 456g 2.3" 3.3" 77mm Ayspherical
Tokina 12-24mm 19.2oz. 1.20lb. 570g 3.5" 3.3" 77mm Zoom
Tokina 10-17mm 12.3oz. 0.77lb. 350g 2.8" 2.7" none Fisheye

I prefer the Canon 15mm as well, faster and the non-worm drive performs better.
However....the OP's question was about the Sigma so I avoided derailing the thread (for a change). :D

On an APSC camera, there isn't a gross fish-eye effect anyway, not at a relative value of 24mm (which I feel is great for tandems on a non-APSC cam body)

Canon 10-22 @ 15mm sharper than than the either 15mm fisheyes.

Personally I wouldnt use the 15mm fisheye on APS-C. If I want a fisheye for cropped sensor, I would buy the tokina zoom fisheye or an 8mm fisheye of some sort.

If you have the kit lens. Use it first and then decide which focal length you want to use the most.

Canon 10-22 @ 15mm sharper than than the either 15mm fisheyes.

Personally I wouldnt use the 15mm fisheye on APS-C. If I want a fisheye for cropped sensor, I would buy the tokina zoom fisheye or an 8mm fisheye of some sort.

The above statement makes no sense if I'm reading it right.
The 15mm isn't a fisheye on an APSC, and not sure that anyone wrote that it was? I think I mentioned it's a 24mm lens (which is what goes on a 5D for me anyway).
To the OP, 15mm on 90% of the bodies used for skydiving will not be a fisheye, BMFin is correct.
If you're looking for a fisheye lens for *most* tandem work, I'd recommend re-thinking.

I disagree. The 15mm is most definitely fish-eye, and it is very noticeable even on a cropped sensor. Yes, much of the worst distortion is cropped out on a APC-C sensor, but it is still there and noticeable on any straight line that isn't centered in the frame. A horizon located in one of the "rule of thirds" horizontal lines will have a definite (and in my mind distasteful) arch to it. However, I still use this lens despite this because its many other attributes make it desirable (and when shooting from under or over RW jumpers, there is often nothing in the frame to draw attention to the fish-eye effect).

I used to jump a Tokina 17m ayspherical lens that was beautiful and wasn't fish-eye. However, it was quite heavy, and I preferred a slightly wider field of view.

The above statement makes no sense if I'm reading it right.

What I ment to say is that 15mm fisheye on a cropped sensor makes no sense.

Reasons:

No.1
The projection image is weird. The result looks like a lot of barrel distortion which looks bad on image shot at this field of view. Sure barrel distortion may look nice when the image is shot with the focal lenght of a fisheye with a ~180 degree Field of view. However shooting 15mm Fisheye IMO is pretty much the same as shooting 24mm on full frame and adding a lot of barrel distortion to every photo you take. Would you deliberatly want to add barrel distortion on the images you shot 24mm on Full frame ? I wouldnt..

Rectangular lenses such as the 10-22 are sharper.

Zoom lenses are more versatile.

Summarum: You get a lot of distortion and softer image with the 15mm when you use it on APS-C. If you want to shoot 15mm, why not get a better lens ?

For the full frame however, it is a real fisheye and a good choise in its class.

To answer all three points of your question;
The OP is asking about a Sigma lens, indicating (I suspect) that price is an important variable.
Not everyone can afford higher grade glass, so what is the next best option?
The zoom is heavier, more costly (if staying comparable).

If cost isn't an issue, then of course...you're entirely correct.

Sigma 15mm 609$ (B&H photo)
Canon 10-22mm 739$ (B&H photo)

Sigma 330g
Canon 385g

Yes, the price is a little higher. The weight is also 55grams more. However differences are so small that neither of these attributes makes a real difference to way or another IMO.

Hey guys, what is better for a Photography Lens, to use for skydive/tandems
Sigma 10:20mm or Sigma 15mm?

Pentax K-7 Sigma 15MM seems to not be as wide as I would like. 7ft down and away from the tandem pair I have trouble getting the pair in frame with the drogue.

I LOVE my 8MM lens but no AF (infinity after 3ft I believe.) But it is pretty darn wide and takes some getting used too.

Could anyone post a sample picture or two of 10mm results? The K-7 has a crop factor of 1.5X. Attached is a Sigma 15MM @ 1.5X factor.

Here ya go. Some landscape and some portrait shots with a 10.5 mm nikon fisheye (x1.5). Also some landscape shots with the sigma 10-20 mm on a Canon (x1.6).

Those are money. Nice shots. Exactly why I like the 8mm but not as aggressive and no vinyetting. Very cool.

Look around. 9 out of 10 you will see the Sigma 15 on a helmet mounted camera.

I don't like having to worry about my zoom changing because of a bump or whatnot. The Sigma can take a beating and still give great results. If you are taking Tandem or Student photos, they are probably not going to care if you used a Sigma 15 or the kit 18-55 that came with the camera.

If you are shooting for yourself buy what your pocket can afford.

I will stick with Sigma.

Look around. 9 out of 10 you will see the Sigma 15 on a helmet mounted camera.

When the Sigmas first came out, they cost $300, and EVERYONE bought one. It quickly became the standard lens for tandem.

Now new Sigmas cost $600. I see a lot more people buying the Canon 15mm.

Both are fisheye, which on a 1.6 crop sensor means barrel distortion around the edges, which is fine as long as the camera flier isn't shooting straight down.

Given the small difference in price, I'd probably go with the Canon if I were buying right now, but I'm happy with my Sigma.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have that one. I can`t get it to be as sharp as I would like.
B/C it is full manual, It`s not so flexible. So it requires too much adjustments. For example, when in AN-2 it`s like in a cave and I get a lot of noise, then on exit it`s another light conditions, and if there are clouds another lighting...
Still, even though I use kit lens for tandems, I use that Zenitar for "fun and games".
dudeist skydiver #42