flyingstrauss

Camera for tandem shooting

Hi, can someone recommend a camera for shooting tandems? A guy at my dropzone is looking to buy a new one (he has some SD Sony model right now), and he wants to buy GoPro. Considering the fact that GoPro has really wide lens, would you say it's good decision? Like, if he's only 5-6 ft away, tandem will probably look too small on video...

IMO, GoPro's look like crap at any distance farther than 2-3' away. they're not for outside video (imo)

The LAST thing you want is a newbie camera flyer in that close.

CX series with a .5 lens are great for newbies.

Mircan, are you saying that GoPro would do the job with great flying? Although this guy's not newbie (1300+ jumps), he's not great flyer. Good, yes, but not great. I suppose that you guys are actually recommending a camera for me, right? In that case, recommending some models that are cheaper than cx-105 would be great. :) And thanks for answering. :)

if price and not quality are the determining factor, and since great flying isn't part of the discussion, I recommend an iPhone or iPod.

Hmm, they do have rounded edges and whatnot. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I hear the IPAD may have a camera soon....

iPads cost more than CX-100's

But, hey, you would never have to worry about not being able to frame the shot, just watch the screen!

It'll be like you're actually there!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Mircan, are you saying that GoPro would do the job with great flying? Although this guy's not newbie (1300+ jumps), he's not great flyer. Good, yes, but not great. I suppose that you guys are actually recommending a camera for me, right? In that case, recommending some models that are cheaper than cx-105 would be great. :) And thanks for answering. :)

I have seen yours DZ`s tandem videos and based on that... don`t consider gopro because camera guy with that thing must fly within hand-reach to get anything decent on video. And I suppose that is not going to happen.
Plus low-light performance is poor and sound also. As I said, could be ok for handycam especially considering your video cabapilities.
If you want really cheap, you can find cameras on local auction sites like limundo.com. Just yesterday I found PC-1000 for ~100eur. That is tape based, SD and sooo yesterday, but if you want it cheap...

Attached are some gopro photos from one of our guys. He uses it as a still camera and you can see tandem is pretty far away. And his flying is not bad.
dudeist skydiver #42

The Contour cameras has a similar image quality but a less wide field of view. It has some other nice features too that doesnt come with the gopro. The new GPS version is said to have a much better microphone than the previous ones and its PAL compatible, which I find are two of the major drawbacks of the 1080p.

You can probably find a used cx105 at about the same or even lower price than the new contour, and this is likely a better option. You'll save money on the WA lens, mounts/box and hypeye though, if thats what you're after.

Jonathan

if price and not quality are the determining factor, and since great flying isn't part of the discussion, I recommend an iPhone or iPod.

I find that taping my iPhone to my helmet makes using the screen later a bit 'sticky'... :P

Still very happy with my CX-100 BTW... :)