Zlew

Trouble with new Canon XS

I haven't had a ton of time to trouble shoot it yet, but I thought maybe you guys might have some insight.
I just got a XS for a jump camera yesterday. Right out of the box the continuous shooting rate seemed really slow. I am kinda used to my 40D (which is pretty fast, like 6/second), so I thought maybe the XS's 3/second seemed slower than it really was. I grabbed my old XT (3/second also) and compared the two, and it is real clear that the XS is shooting at about half of what the XT is....and it's just wayyy too slow.
I know the XS shoots at 1.5 fps with RAW, and it seems to be stuck at this rate.
For the test shots: manual focus, manual exposure (1/100th f4.5) no flash, kit lens manual focus, IS off. Drive set to continuous. Card in, card out gives the same result. I reset everything to factory settings (again) with no change. Changed to all the other auto modes (green box,P etc) and no change. Changed the file size from L to S...nothing.
Now for the really weird thing: When I change shooting mode to RAW, it shoots faster until the buffer fills up (which happens pretty quickly). Change it back to large jpeg and it slows back to a snails rate.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? I can post vid tonight if that would help.

One of my first nikons did the same thing with jpegs, because I had turned on the anti-noise function. Now that function should only kick in at low shutterspeeds, can't remember what "low" was but I doubt it was the 1/400 I was shooting at :S I returned the camera for being slow, got a new one, and that one had the same problem... Because one of the first things I did was turn that function on, duh :S

Later on a firmware version fixed that bug, but I wasn't using the anti-noise anymore by then :)

I would try resetting your camera to factory settings and then doing absolutely nothing, just shoot on green, see what that does.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

One of my first nikons did the same thing with jpegs, because I had turned on the anti-noise function. Now that function should only kick in at low shutterspeeds, can't remember what "low" was but I doubt it was the 1/400 I was shooting at :S I returned the camera for being slow, got a new one, and that one had the same problem... Because one of the first things I did was turn that function on, duh :S

That fixed it. I didn't realize that when you clear the settings back to factory it doesn't clear the Custom Function settings. I saw that noise reduction was on, cleared the CF's and it seems to work just fine now. I don't think I ever would have put those two pieces together (noise reduction and slowing cycle times).

Thanks for the help!