soulbabel

Should I rotate headdown footage, so that it is oriented towards the earth correctly?

I posted some split screen freefly footage of a skydive over the weekend that was filmed while headdown. Initially, I posted the footage as is, so everything appears to be traveling upwards.

I started thinking this might look really odd to viewers who hadn't become accustomed to that sort of perspective change, so I posted another video where the clips are rotated 180 degrees to show the actual movement and orientation.

I was hoping people would be willing to look at the two clips and tell me which orientation would yield the best overall viewing experience.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQDwkSRKsg
Flipped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgXG6kUQ0w

Also, the flipped version looks odd at the start, so I'm wondering if I should keep it right side up until we leave the plane. I wasn't sure what kind of video transition would work best: some sort of zoom and rotate, or just having the video flip instantly, etc.

I'm open to any suggestions. I use AviSynth to put my footage together, so my video editor is actually just a text editor (Notepad), but I can probably figure something out.

My 100% subjective take...

Interesting exercise. I've done a fair amount of freeflying in the past so I found that my brain sort of instinctively processed the original from a headdown perspective.

But you're right, if you're not used to that sort of orientation, the original may look a little odd. I think you have the right idea in taking everything up to the exit rightside up, then flipping the headdown footage. That way the video is 100% sky->up, ground->down oriented.

My own style (in photography/videography) is:

-Inside footage, keep it as it is.

-Outside footage, rotate 180 degrees.

There are ofcourse exceptions to this "rule" and I always assess each photo/footage individually.

In your footage the parts where you take grips clearly classifies the footage as inside footage and not rotating it makes it more explicit.

My suggestion is to keep it inverted when it's just head-down flying but if you're flying with sit-flyers, then keep it right-side-up.

Just a personal choice - I think that the view of a head-down flyer where they look like they're falling 'up' is awesome and really gives the video that 'we're really flying up here' feel.