agentsmith413

video editing software

can anyone recommend some video editing software for editing skydiving videos for a beginner? i would like to learn to edit videos and eventually edit the tandem videos in the future(assuming im good enough). im looking for something versatile but somewhat easy to pick up. any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: and before anyone asks. i am NOT shooting video im just looking to learn to edit.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

can anyone recommend some video editing software for editing skydiving videos for a beginner? i would like to learn to edit videos and eventually edit the tandem videos in the future(assuming im good enough). im looking for something versatile but somewhat easy to pick up. any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: and before anyone asks. i am NOT shooting video im just looking to learn to edit.

What kind of computer do you have?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

nothing extravagant but it should be able to handle basic video editing software.. i also was told to have it compatible with avchd(not sure if thats what its called) format

its a sony vaio
the specs are as follows...
intel core i3 cpu@ 2.27ghz
4GB ddr3 ram
nvidia geforce 310m
500GB hdd
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

A search or sticky read would answer this :P

Vegas
Premiere
Canopus

would all be good PC picks
I'm a fan of Vegas by far, and Premiere a distant second. Vegas Movie Studio 10 is a great place to start if you don't need automation

im looking for something versatile but somewhat easy to pick up.

Nothing's easy in this business...just persevere and you'll find it.

Vegas is probably the easiest, but Premiere/Adobe Creative Suite will force you to know what you're doing, and will ultimatly make things easier on you when that time comes.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

DSE,

I was looking at Vegas the other day on the Sony site, and one thing I really want to do is to do some basic stop-motion animation and rotoscoping stuff. Which one (if any or all) allow for dropping still frames into a timeline for the purposes of animation?

Would any of these allow for the dropping of photo files into a timeline and then converting the whole thing into a video clip of varying definitions?

That machine is on the light side for heavy AVCHD processing, but it'll do you JUST fine for one-stream, maybe dual stream edits

I`m totally clueless about what you refer here. What is considered heavy processing? What do you mean by one stream/dual stream?
Please?
dudeist skydiver #42

Vegas will let you run more then one session at a time concurrently. Think about it this way, most times to edit two videos at the same time needs two computers, Vegas can run multiple copies of itself at the same time and then can edit and render multiple at the same time too. If you want to render 4-5 videos at the same time you need a MUCH higher computer these these. If you just want to edit one at a time then its fine.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ooooh... He ment parallel instances of program... :$
Still, in which category would standard tandem video go to? Dozen crossfades, couple of titles, two audio tracks, one instance of program... Light?

I`m trying to build HD editing PC around Intel`s i3 CPU (4GB DDR3 RAM). Still, I`m not sure if it could handle vanilla tandem video edit smoothly and in reasonable amount of time.

dudeist skydiver #42

but Premiere/Adobe Creative Suite will force you to know what you're doing, and will ultimatly make things easier on you when that time comes.

Elaborate, please?

I don't want to get into the old debate of which system is better and start listing all the pro/cons of each because at the end of the day I'm sure we'll both agree that when it comes to basic editing it's all subjective. It's not until you get into color grading, compositing, motion graphics and SPX that you start to realize the shortcommings of inferior software like Vegas.

Now, I'm not knocking Vegas at all, I think it's a wonderful system and every editor should have a copy on hand no matter what system you prefer.

Vegas is hands down the best value when it comes to editing and actually performs better in some cases, like when a newbie is editing HD on a weak computer that still uses Vista, for example.

I think it all comes down to how far you want to take your video career...if you want to go pro, I think it'd be best to just jump right into Adobe CS or Final cut Studio....if you can.

Furthermore, Dynamic link is an awesome tool that simply just makes things easier in the long run.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Still, in which category would standard tandem video go to? Dozen crossfades, couple of titles, two audio tracks, one instance of program... Light?

Audio shouldn't be a problem with anything that can handle decent video editing, but scrapping the cross-fades will speed things up. Use simple cuts instead. If you don't think they are "professional" enough, then watch what the major networks do when they edit. 90 percent of their transitions (or more) are simple cuts. (Although I'll admit NFL broadcasts are using some pretty creative transitions these days between plays.)

Also, if you aren't delivering (or planning on delivering) your videos in HD, shooting and editing in SD should speed things up considerably and reduce the demands on your processor.

SD edits are no problem, of course.
We always use simple cross-disolve or "dip-to-white" transitions.
I have a project that is going to be in HD and I want to build and buy a PC for it (and for the latter work).

Simply put: Is i3 CPU capable to do smooth scrubbing of timeline on simple cross-disolve transitions with AVCHD video? In Premiere CS4 or Vegas.
dudeist skydiver #42

i3 will do it with out an issue. I'm running an much older core system and I can do the edits, its all down to how fast it will do it. you'll be happy with an i3 until you try something faster. Overall.. spend what you can and ignore the newer systems. :ph34r:

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It depends more on the speed you want to have the finished dvd.

I'm using a core i7/12 gb ram/ssd pc and do not like to edit on my quadcore 4gb laptop (even though the laptop is slightly more expensive...), because I need to have the finished dvd within 20 minutes (and be packed, have the photo cd ready, have done the interview with the next pax). So, the faster the better. However if your dz ships the dvds within a few days, a core i3 laptop will do just fine. But if speed really matters, better get a core i7 pc.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The "speed" would be "working speed", with rendering time as second. I`ll go with i3, especially b/c I got a deal to change the CPU to stronger one if this appears to be inadequate.

Thank you very much guys/girls! Quite informative.
dudeist skydiver #42

I used movie maker for some really basic stuff for my own old videos - but I don't know about HD stuff or anything like that. Certainly not for anything fancy.

One thing I noticed that is different (maybe I just didn't figure it out yet) in the Windows 7 movie maker is that you can't insert a photo or still frame into a video clip. It used to be you could just drop a picture in there no problem. For some reason, it wasn't letting me do it when I wanted to the other day.