DownplaneDave

CX-150 and box or cage selection

I've recently upgraded from the mini-dv to the newer HD cameras with the purchase of the Sony CX-150.

I jump a BH FTP and have been going around in circles trying to decide the best protective setup with easy access to the media card and camera features when filming students.

I like the Cookie blackbox, BH D-box and the Cookie cage. But without actually seeing these setups in use I'm a little hesitant on taking the plunge.

I like features from each but I'm interested in knowing what others have found is the best option with this camera for a top mount application.

Camera: Sony CX-150
Lens - Liquid 0.3 (most likely)
Hype-eye
mount - undecided but leaning towards Cookie Flatlock
Helmet - Bonehead Flat Top Pro
Still Camera - mounted beside CX-150 (Canon Rebel) - I am considering getting a new extended platform to mount the Rebel inverted in the front so I can possibly incorporate a speed light flash setup. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks, Dave

...the best protective setup with easy access to the media card and camera features when filming students.

Two conflicting requirements, and one unnecessary one IMHO. Best for camera access? No box at all. Best for cards access? Unfortunately any box. Sony never learned on tape-based cams how much of a PITA bottom loading was, and now they have carried that stupidity into their flash cam line. As far as "protection," I have never felt a box/cage/whatever is necessary on a top-mounted camera, and takes one of the big advantages of a modern cameras (i.e., small size) and compromises it severely.

If it were I, I would go sans box and use USB for file transfer. Of course, your work-flow may require otherwise...

I believe Terry Schumacher has a box for the CX150 that is friction fit. Allows for easy removal of camera for quick access to remove of the card.

He does. I have one at the shop, but haven't put up a listing with info/pictures on our site yet. I'll try to do that tomorrow. It is a pressure/friction fit...no camera screw required. Easy in/out. Attached is one photo of the CX100 Schumacher box...the CX150 box is similar, just smaller.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Thanks for this suggestion. I look forward to seeing it on your web site. How does this box differ from BH's D-box? Isn't their box also friction fit? What kind of lens is shown in the photo? The only thing I currently have is the Sony CX-150 and my FTP. All the other accessories for this camcorder will be ordered once i determine what I actually need to access the media card. This is a small world because my wishlist is on your site just waiting to be ordered once I can determine the right box, cage or mount that will fit this new camera.

Thanks,
Dave

Haven't had a chance to get it up on my site yet, but here are some photos of the CX150 version.

The differences on the Bonehead vs. Schumacher are these:

Materials: Bonehead carbon fiber, Schumacher composite of some sort
Size: Bonehead larger with more padding to finish out fit, Schumacher smaller for an exact fit.
Closure: Bonehead cable closing, Schumacher screw closing.
Price: Bonehead $184, Schumacher $175

The blue hood lens cover you saw in my prior photos for the CX100 box is for the .3 Century, which is an extra option...and only needed if using that lens. Step-up ring, filter bushing and attachment hardware included with the Schumacher. Attachment hardware included with the Bonehead.

Both of these are setup for top-mounting only.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Mike,
I really do appreciate all the information and assistance. If you had your choice between the BH and Schumacher which one would you choose? I completely understand if you can't really comment since you're a seller of both products but if anyone else would like to provide some feedback I'm all ears. Both seem to be the best fit for the new CX-150 since the media card is accessed from the bottom. I also plan to use the Century .55 37mm lens with a 37 UV filter as well.

Would you recommend mounting the box with a quick release or straight to the camera platform on the BH FTP. If you suggest a quick release I was leaning towards the Liquid Flatlock system for this set up. Any feedback or better ideas are welcome as well.

I currently use Stroboframe mounts for my old mini dv and still camera set-up. I was going to continue to use this mount with my still camera. I plan to either get an extended platform for my BH FTP and mount it inverted on the front or side by side with the CX-150.

My goal is to eventually incorporate a flash setup so this is why I'm leaning towards the inverted mount. My old setup is the front mount L bracket for my still. The one con to this is I've noticed over the years this has developed a little play in it. It would be my luck when I finally get all this crap done and I stayed with the L bracket I would eventually be replacing my still camera after a hard opening.

Once again thanks Mike and everyone that has chimed in with their expertise and past experiences. I hopefully will make up my mind based on these valuable tips and end these questions.

Thanks, Dave

Sorry, missed your note from last week.

The Schumacher is more of a "finished product." It comes pre-drilled for mounting and for HypEye D Pro access. It's also an easier in/out for the camera since it has one screw for closure.

If you want something that you can modify and/or setup as you see fit, then the Bonehead box allows that since it really is a "blank" box of sorts. You can drill your mounting holes and HypEye D Pro access holes (or not) as you see fit.

Since opening the box allows you to remove the camera, I think hard mounting the box is the best option. No need for a quick release, and that would actually complicate the mounting.

Here's a link to both with more information:

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/photo-video/camera-boxes/cx110-150-stealth-box.html

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/bonehead-d-box.html

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Looks like the new Bonehead CX-150 D-Box would have to lay on it's side to top mount it to a helmet. Looks like the hinges are on the top and bottom of the D-Box Looking at it makes me think I'd have to side mount the new Bonehead CX-150 D-Box.

I'm trying to install it top mounted on a Bonehead Optik, but not sure its going to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You know.....now that I look at it. The D-Box looks pretty square.

So I'm guessing this wont be a problem top mounting on a Bonehead Optik.

Only remaining Question would be if anyone freeflys with this setup. I know with a Side Mount Box, you can swivel the box to get your shot in frame. I would think with a Top mount you'd need a shim to adjust the angle.......if even necessary.

Hi all

I'm looking to mount the same camera (CX-150E) top-mount on a Optik 210 helmet, with a GoPro on the front.

I see these posts were a while ago - how about some feedback re operating with it? Which d-box did you go with in the end? How does it perform in FreeFly?

Thanks!
Blue Skies!
Outlaw

If you are going to Top Mount it, i would go with the RAWA box for the CX110/150, its the only one i think that the Hypeye a/v conector stays inside the box, that way it is more protected than on the outside like the other boxes around.
The RAWA box for the cx110/150 works top mounted on any helmet with a flat top.

Hi Dave,
I jump the FTP with 2 x CX 150 fitted. I use a Cookie Roll Cage on and the Schumacher Box on the other.

The Roll Cage is good in that you can open the screen for sighting whilst fitted and use the screen without removing the camera during climbs to height ect ( I film 4way).

The Schumacher is a bitch to sight in without a TV and use of cables, it is however a excellent protective box and I prefer it to the Cage.

I have both mounted on Cookie Liquid Mounts as it allows me to move my cameras around and interchange with stills and Go Pro for different jumps.

The Roll Cage does not readily allow the card on the bottom to be removed without unscrewing the hex nut, so you have to use USB if you don't want to be unscrewing it every jump.

The CX 150 does have a weak screw thread in the body, so I would recommend going with the Schumacher as it provides the best protection, ease of removal (removing camera and cards) and minimises strain on the camera body.

I have a Bonehead Hot Shoe on the front. Go with another brand as these have waaaaaaayyyyy to much movement in them.

For what its worth.

Ken