SimonBones

Rebel Xsi/SD card help

Hey out there, need some help. I shot some photos at a boogie this past weekend a few hours away from home. I dumped a bunch of the photos on a local computer to share them and the downloader accidentally clicked "delete after download" and deleted everything off my SD card (card was plugged in directly to computer). As what seemed like a quick solution, the person did a drag-and-drop and put the photos back on my card via windows 'my computer'. While plugged into the computer at the time, it showed my pictures were returned to the card even though I could not view them on the camera. I imagine a format was changed and now my SD card is being used much like a thumb dive or something.

Now I'm at home trying to upload photos to my computer via USB and I can't find them anywhere on my camera. According to my computer and camera, there are no photos on it, but I clearly saw the transfer back take place at the original computer. I don't know how to open up my camera/card on the computer to view files and I don't have an SD card slot on my computer, just a USB.

Any ideas to fix this at home?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

If you have a mac with a sd card slot on the side it will find them...or if you get a sd slot in a usb drive/thumb drive sort thing it will find them also! It wont work the way your doing it! find someone with a macbook pro and slip it into the side of the computer and it will work!

Something like this will work!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+External+USB+2.0+Multiformat+Memory+Card+Reader/8328464.p?id=1174694369679&skuId=8328464

You should be able to acces what ever is inside the SD card when you hook up your camera to your compter.

If your on windows machine, when you hook up the camera, dont open any of the canon programs. Go to Computer -> click on canon EOS -> and you should be able to explore the files inside the SD card.

I guess the problem here is that there is no index file on the camera so the camera doesnt know there are photos on the card.

But I concur what was already said about SD card reader. It makes life so much easier. You can get one propably with 5 bucks somewhere.

Relax, take a deep breath... Your pictures are probably still there. When the computer "deletes" data, it just removes the pointers to the actual data...or something like that. The data is still there unless it has been written over.
Download Recuva or another similar program and scan the disk for your pictures.
You can find Recuva at:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Good Luck and Blue Skies,
Matt

Relax, take a deep breath... Your pictures are probably still there. When the computer "deletes" data, it just removes the pointers to the actual data...or something like that. The data is still there unless it has been written over.
Download Recuva or another similar program and scan the disk for your pictures.
You can find Recuva at:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Good Luck and Blue Skies,
Matt

I agree, its the software I prefer for recovering files on most media devices.

Its completely free as well, not to mention easy as hell to use.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message