velocityphoto

CX 100 LOST VIDEO?

Does anyone know how it would be possible to recover an aff video from the memory card from my dc 100 ? I was recording to memory card and accidentally lost or reformatted a card with a video... Chime in here spot? Save the day!

thanks lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

If you merely corrupted or erased, you can probably recover with some data recovery softwares.
If you formatted, there is a *small* chance of recovery depending on what's been done since, but I'd suspect it's gone.

I'm doing a presentation on file-based video at PIA:P

I'll be watching replies intently- I had 30 (SD)files on an 8Gb card, edited one tandem at the end, then opened Vegas Pro again after burning the DVD and the only files that were left were the 5 segments I had opened while editing. The others....gone......where? Nowhere to be found.:S

Been there, done that, what's next?

Ok, here goes:

The way a device records to a media device (solid state, magnetic or optical) is pretty much linear. It will write data starting at the first available block of free space, and continue writing until it hits a piece of information that is still supposed to be there, then skips to the next block that’s open and continues where it left off (this is how you get fragmented files)

The device knows if the data is supposed to be there because it looks at the media's master file table. This table tells the reader what is on the disk, and where to find it.

When you format (quick format, not sure about full) or delete a file from that media, the only thing that happens is that the MFT is updated to say there is nothing there. The information is usually still there until it is overwritten by another file transfer.

There are tons of free tools out there to recover files that have been deleted but not overwritten. My favorite is Recuva. It is simple to use, gives you a damn good indication of if it can recover the file fully or if its part corrupted or even completely gone, as well as being completely free. They also update it fairly often so it’s not lagging in that department. Photorec is a good tool, but it’s not as easy to use, and hasn’t been updated in forever.

These tools somewhat ignore the MFT and look for the data on the drive, rather than listening to the MFT saying there is nothing there. Large drives take longer to search and index, but my 4gb SD card didn't take too long to recover all of the pictures from. (dozens of .raw files)

I have recovered plenty of pictures, documents and videos for people who have deleted their pictures accidently. As long as the file hasn’t been overwritten, you’ve got a pretty good shot that you can get it back. I see people posting that they have accidently deleted their pictures/videos from the weekend and are trying to get them back, so I am throwing my solution into the mix. It might just save your ass one day.

I don't have my CX out here to test on the internal storage, but I believe it will work the same way.

Mods: feel free to copy this post to wherever you think it might be usefull, if it is usefull at all.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If you formatted, there is a *small* chance of recovery depending on what's been done since, but I'd suspect it's gone.

Most of the memory cards that I have recovered photos from have been formatted. I've had very few issues and usually get most of the pictures back.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

formatted in an AVCHD camcorder? Remember the camcorder writes the index file as part of the format process.
Formatting in a computer is a different deal.
That said, I haven't had to recover data from any MSPD cards formatted in-camera, either. I'm not sure I'm correct in believing it isn't possible.

formatted in an AVCHD camcorder? Remember the camcorder writes the index file as part of the format process.
Formatting in a computer is a different deal.
That said, I haven't had to recover data from any MSPD cards formatted in-camera, either. I'm not sure I'm correct in believing it isn't possible.

Can't you still pull the (.m2ts or whatever extension it is) video file and import it into whatever player?

I have a .mts file from a jump I did, just copied that file, and it plays just fine. It might be a pain in the ass to manually load the videos, but shouldn't it work?

Again, I don't have my CX handy, I'll see if I can get my hands on one tonight.

I guess I should relay my story to hopefully save some people some time and trouble...

I was able to recover a tandem video from a corrupted disk from a CX150 only with testdisk. Recuva couldn't find the data even if the disk was reformatted and photorec produced one big file with all of the videos strung together. Sony Vegas did not know what to do with the file photorec produced.

Additionally, I would add that I had no luck accessing the disk with any tools in windows. I guess that windows interferes if it does not recognize the format of the disk.

The only luck I had was to boot the computer from a SystemRescueCD cd (linux) and use testdisk and photorec from there.
As theonlyski said, photorec isn't user friendly, and testdisk is even less so. Therefore, I would strongly recommend making a disk to disk copy of the problem disk and work from the copy (I used the dd command in linux). That way if you mess up you don't overwrite the original disk.

Just my two cents...

I guess I should relay my story to hopefully save some people some time and trouble...

I was able to recover a tandem video from a corrupted disk from a CX150 only with testdisk. Recuva couldn't find the data even if the disk was reformatted and photorec produced one big file with all of the videos strung together. Sony Vegas did not know what to do with the file photorec produced.

Additionally, I would add that I had no luck accessing the disk with any tools in windows. I guess that windows interferes if it does not recognize the format of the disk.

The only luck I had was to boot the computer from a SystemRescueCD cd (linux) and use testdisk and photorec from there.
As theonlyski said, photorec isn't user friendly, and testdisk is even less so. Therefore, I would strongly recommend making a disk to disk copy of the problem disk and work from the copy (I used the dd command in linux). That way if you mess up you don't overwrite the original disk.

Just my two cents...

I would have figured that testdisk would have given you the same results as photorec. Good to know though, thanks for the info! I don't have a CX-100 series camera to test here.

What did you mount the drive as? FAT?

Because the card was corrupted I couldn't mount it. I plugged the card in and typed "dmesg | tail" in a console to get the device name...it was something like /dev/sdc1. Then I ran testdisk and it asked which disk I wanted examined, I typed "/dev/sdc1". It searched the device and after "deep scanning", or whatever testdisk called the thorough scan, it found the files and asked where I wanted to restore them to.

I am simplifying how it all worked, but that is the gist of it.

Are you using the windows versions of photorec and testdisk? Because I imagine windows will not allow you to access the disk unless it is a recognizable format to windows.

For anyone reading this post, I want to reiterate that if you use any of these tools you should make a physical copy of the disk with the data to another card or disk and work from the copy. More than once I lost the data on the copy by mistake, and I'd like to think I was very careful in the process.

Are you using the windows versions of photorec and testdisk? Because I imagine windows will not allow you to access the disk unless it is a recognizable format to windows.

Without going and looking for the program, I seem to recall it allowing me to access any drive as long as it was detected by windows (regardless of the formatting). I would use either one (windows/linux) but for something that I couldn't find with Recuva, I probably would boot into Backtrack and run testdisk from that.

All the more reason to keep that dual boot system going ;)

Check this out.
If you record some of your footage in SD (Std Definition) then changed your camera setting to HD (High Definition) and started recording,
You will not be able to see your SD recorded footage while the camera is in HD, even if you plug the USB lead into the camera.
The only way would be to change the camera setting back to SD mode, then you will see the SD recorded footage.
This is visa versa for both HD and SD.
I am pretty sure you should be able to see all the footage if you recorded to a card and checked it on a PC.
Any way try looking for your footage while the camera is in different modes.
Hope this helps! Let me know if this helps.
P.S. Should help someone though.